cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Firmware Upgrade

carlo2940
Level 1
Level 1

Recently purchased a RVS4000 Router, which included v1.1.14 firmware. Is it necessary to reset the router to Factory Default settings, after upgrading to v1.2.11, as in most of the other previous upgrades?

37 Replies 37

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For  RVS4000, we recommend a reset to factory default to get peace of  mind.

The router is a real performer though, 800Mbps advertised throughput with GE interfaces.  IPsec tunnels support (5).  Has a SIP ALG and supports VLANs and QoS.  The wireless sister WRVS4400N adds wireless N.

Hi,

I have never worked on this particular router until this job. I am more familiar with "true" Cisco products than with the Linksys line.

I'm woking on a job for a customer to get VPN working on his RVS4000. It was still on the original firmware and VPN wasn't working. I flashed to the newest version and now cannot connect to the WAN (Internet). I also tried the previous rev. AND reset to factory defaults - no go. This is very frustrating. My customer is saying it would have been less expensive for him to just buy a whole new router than getting this router to work as advertised. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

--GREG--

You can call in for an RMA since the router has turn into a brick, if you are entitle. The support number that you will need to call is 1-866-606-1866. Make sure you have your serial number of the defective unit prior to calling in.

Disreguard the previous reply, I responded to the comment not the orginal post. I suggest not to upgrade firmware unless you are having problems. If the unit is working LEAVE IT ALONE!

If you had read my original message you'd have noticed that I was having problems with VPN, thus why I went ahead with the firmware upgrade. Why would a simple firmware upgrade "brick" the router? This router is two years old and my customer has never gotten VPN to work. Is anyone from Cisco able to reply to my issue? Thank You,

--GREG--

The router doesn't seem bricked - it only won't connect to the Internet. I thought "bricked" meant that it was totally unresponsive. That's why I'm wondering if the upgrade added a "feature" or something that is blocking access to the Internet.

It responds normally on the LAN side of the network. I can get into the administration, etc. I'm working remotely and not at the site. I want to avoid a trip up there if possible.

Thanks everyone for all your help,

--GREG--

RVS4000 firmware 1.2.11 is the best firmware so far. After firmware upgrade, please do a reset to factory default, clearing all existing settings on the router, and you should be fine. If you have WAN connection problem, please provide us the WAN connection type, the modem's model number and the firmware version on the modem. Contacting tech support to get a ticket created will also get the ball rolling faster.

BTW, what type of VPN issue were you facing?

Does Cisco charge for the incident if its out of warranty? I don't want this project to end up costing him more than the router's worth and he's over an hour away from me!

I think my customer has had this router for a couple of years now. He just recently needed VPN functionality and that's what I'm helping him configure. The client would go through all the steps and timing out at the very end almost like not getting a dhcp address but everything else seemed connected. The router was showing an active client but the client wouldn't connect. I tried changing the MTU to manual and set the size to 1428. I also tried from my laptop connected to an AirCard AND my home network. My customer's LAN is a 192.168.1.x configuration. My home network is 172.16.1.x and when I used my aircard it was a public IP. Anyway the VPN problem is what brought this whole firmware upgrade to light. For all I know the ISP is doing some NATting within their network to a 192.x number and that's why VPN isn't working? I don't know..... I just want to be able to get it working well enough that I can resume remotely administrating it from here.

Router's warranty is 3 years.

If the RVS4000's WAN port is behind a NAT device, it's more complex to set up a VPN tunnel. The user guide of RV042 (a free download on cisco.com) has an appendix that covers IPSec NAT Traversal, whose concept could be applied to RVS4000 as well. 

Ok,

I had my customer run the upgrade again, then reset back to default and put in the WAN IP info. once again. Same thing, again.

So then I had him run the "rescue" utility which brought the firmware down to 1.11.11 version. He is able to get back on the net but I'm afraid VPN won't work again on this version as this is an even earlier version than before!

I contacted Cisco today and unfortunately this router is out of warranty.

Is there another product that actually works with VPN and allows firmware upgrades without rendering the router useless?

Thanks,

--GREG--

Hey Gregory are you trying to connect using the quickvpn utility on the router?  If that is the case make sure the block wan request is disabled on the rvs4000.  Secondly if you are using xp to connect to the router use service pack 3 with the windows firewall disabled.  If using vista, it will only work with vista 32 bit and the windows firewall has to be enabled.  If you have the private ip address set to 192.168.1.1 and are trying to connect using another device with the same private ip address of 192.168.1.1 it will not connect.  The best practice is to always change the private ip address of a vpn router to a 192.168.2.1 or something like that.  If you are trying to connect using a wireless card, like verizon or something like that there are issues with our vpn client not connecting up with router.  If your internet connection on the rvs4000 is fiber or satellite it will not connect, cause the connections on the fiber are to fast to connect and we are having issues with satellite internet.  I hope this will help you out and by the way if the 1.2.11 firmware renders it unusable try the 1.2.10 version and see if that makes the wan work.  Thank You.

Hi,

I already attempted the 1.2.10 firmware and it also rendered the WAN useless. With all these gotchas and the router not working I am going to recommend my customer ditch it. Whaqt product would you instead recommend?

Thank You,

--GREG--

Go with RV042, which has better VPN throughput and dual WAN ports for backup or load balancing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: