Views
Helpful
Replies

NVI0 Interface Admin Shut

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

1.I have just configured the Cisco 2821 router with NAT enabled.

2.I did run " show ip int brief" to check whether all interfaces are in no shut mode

3.I found interface NVI0 still remains in "admin shutdown"

4.Will this NVI0 interface changes status once NAT router is put in production ?

5.Any good link of "How and What" of NVI0 interface apart from below link ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t14/feature/guide/gtnatvi.html

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

If you are using commands like " ip nat inside and ip nat outside " under the interfaces, the NVI0 interface is not of much inmportance

It is used only when you do not specify the above commands and want the NAT to take place irrespective of the direction

Narayan

Thanks Narayan ..

what about the "admin shut" status ?

It will remain in that "admin shut"state or it will become up--up once , i put this router in production ?

From my experience the interface state comes up as soon as you configure the NAT statements..

Are the interfaces where the NAT inside and outside command configured in down status?

Narayan

No All other interfaces are in up down down state , but not in admin down.

Aminu Mukhtar
Level 1
Level 1

The status of this interface has nothing to do with your NAT once you have enabled NAT on your interfaces (using 'ip nat inside' or 'ip nat outside'). Your NAT will still work even if the 'show ip int brief' indicates the NVI0 interface is administratively shutdown as long as your NAT configurations are OK

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card