Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack Switch Addition

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I added a switch to a stack this weekend. This is the 6th switch, but it's physically located above the 1st switch in the rack. I'd like to renumber these. I know that I can do "switch 6 renumber 1", but I don't think that will work as long as 1 exists when the newly renumbered 6 comes online. Do I need to shut down the stack completely, bring up all of the switches one by one and renumber? What's the best way to go about doing this?

In the end, what I'll need is this:

Switch:

6 renumbered to 1

1 renumbered to 2

2 " to 3

3 " to 4

4 " to 5

5 " to 6

I'd also like to know if this will negatively impact me in anyway with existing VLANs, trunked ports, etc.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
4 Replies 4

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

You can probably follow this order:

Renumber 5 to 7

Renumber 4 to 5

Renumber 3 to 4

Renumber 2 to 3

Renumber 1 to 2

Renumber 6 to 1

Renumber 7 to 6

Thanks,

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do I need to shut down the stack completely, bring up all of the switches one by one and renumber?

Recommended approach.

What's the best way to go about doing this?

How about placing the 6th switch in the 6th slot ? :)

I'd also like to know if this will negatively impact me in anyway with existing VLANs, trunked ports, etc.

Vlans are stored in the Vlan.dat which is shared among all switches. No need to be concerned about that.

Trunked ports are configured on the switchports, unless you are moving those connections around, you should be fine.

For instance, if switch 1 is connecting back to the core and now you have a different switch 1, then you need to modify those settings. Also, any reference to a switchport will need to modify its numbering.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison. The reason for not putting the switch below the 5th switch is because we've run out of room in the rack. It was easier to install the 6th switch above 1, rather than move all 5 up the rack to get the 6th in the bottom. :-)

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

1) the stack number is not something that is important for other things than you to remember wich one is wich one.

and the configuration to remember wich one is wich one.

however if you need too have them in a specific order you need to do it in this way.

renumber 5 to 7

renumber 4 to 5

renumber 3 to 4

renumber 2 to 3

renumber 1 to 2

renumber 6 to 1

renumber 7 to 6

IF you are going to do this make shure you do not have anything in the configuration with interfaces. then that will be wrong and you have to change the configuration.

ie int gig1/0/1 after the change becomes int gig2/0/1.

good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card