cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clean restore of a backup file

stndrdsnz
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working to help clean up the network environment at a small sized company. They have their main headquarters and several remote offices. Each remote office is using a Cisco 831 to connect back to the main office network. Part of what I'm trying to do is to standardize the configuration on each of the remote offices. To help accomplish this we've got a default setup on a test router. I've setup a TFTP server to push the configuration to, and can push and pull from this system. Now that I've got a backup of the configuration I want each of the remote offices to use, I have opened the backup file and modified the values necessary for each of the remote offices. However, when I restore one of these configurations there are many settings that are getting added, not overwritten.

An example of this is follows:

Initial configuration specifies the following:

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.101.1

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.101.55

The IP address specified above will change with each remote office, so in the config I change these IP addresses from 101 to 107. When I issue the command to copy the new configuration to the router it now contains the following lines:

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.101.1

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.101.55

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.107.1

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.107.55

Is there a command I can issue to remove any configuration that isn't in the new config file? Or do we need to reset the router back to factory defaults and then restore the config?

I'd appreciate any insight you can give me.

Thanks,

David

1 Reply 1

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni