cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multicast appication

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to do video video conferencing on my two location. I heard about multicast application and how it reduces bandwith. Please advice me on a very good multicast application supported by cisco routers and switches.

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Just,

multicast is a form of routing and switching.

From the point of view of network devices they need to support and to be configured for it.

download the following presentation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6552/prod_presentation0900aecd80310883.pdf

then comes applications that can use multicast like videoconferencing.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

As Giuseppe points out the routers and switches need to be configured to handle multicast traffic. But the application for it is something that would run on the server that originates the videoconference and on the client that receives the videoconference.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes ai get that, what i need to know is the example of the application that will be installed and the use.

Multicasting only "saves bandwidth" if you are replicating identical data to a group of destinations. For instance a retailer might wish to distribute video accross their network to their stores for advertising in store. Rather than each store opening a unicast connection, requireing that the server duplicate the video data into each session and the network carry multiple copies of the same data, the server multicasts the video and the network is responsible for replicating the multicast packets to any registered sources. So the only data duplication occurs at branches in the multicast tree, and even then on ly one copy goes out of each destination link.

The same idea is used in distributing software to workstations, for instance.

It can help in video conferencing where there are more than two participants, but unless you regularly VC with say half a dozen or more endpoints the complexity of setting it up may not be worth it.

Thanke for the explaination, my question is still example of software I can use on the host and server.

Hello Just,

if you want to use a multicast application to test the infrastructure I would suggest videolan VLC:

it is a player but can send and receive a multicast stream with multimedia content

see

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

it is open source

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco