how to get the serial number of an MCS

Unanswered Question
Feb 16th, 2009

I am still new with Cisco callmanager. How do i get the seril number of MCS-7825 without physically looking at the box?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tim.giles Tue, 02/17/2009 - 07:19

Depends what version of OS you are using? If Linux, you can SSH to the server and enter the command "show hardware".

If Windows, you can use the ACU and other HP Utilities to view the serial.

More information can be found in these previous posts:

Microsoft Windows OS:

Linux servers:

Please rate useful posts...

Adrian Saavedra Tue, 02/17/2009 - 08:23

Hi Eduard,

I tried with show hardware in CUCM 5.X and 6.X but this command never shows the serial number although documentation says that yes.

For CUCM 5.X you can see the serial number in OS Administration Page, under Show->Hardware (I tried this in CUCM 6.X but I can't see it).

For CallManager running on Windows with HP Server you can download a little script from this URL (perhaps for IBM will work also):

Hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts.

Best regards,

- Adrián.

edongskiu Wed, 02/18/2009 - 01:46

Hi Adrian,

I found out i got a bigger problem, i cannot access the OS Administration page, and no one knows the password (but i can access the cisco unified callmanager administration). Would you know what group should i belong to access the OS administration or a backdoor to access the page?

tim.giles Wed, 02/18/2009 - 01:59

Hi Eduard,

Here's the official guide from Cisco on how to recover the password. You will need physical access to the device though!:

Step 1 Log in to the system with the following username and password:

•Username: pwrecovery

•Password: pwreset

The Welcome to admin password reset window displays.

Step 2 Press any key to continue.

Step 3 If you have a CD or DVD in the disk drive, remove it now.

Step 4 Press any key to continue.

The system tests to ensure that you have removed the CD or DVD from the disk drive.

Step 5 Insert a valid CD or DVD into the disk drive.

The system tests to ensure that you have inserted the disk.

Step 6 After the system verifies that you have inserted the disk, you get prompted to enter a new Administrator password.

Note The system resets the Administrator username to admin. If you want to set up a different Administrator username and password, use the CLI command set password.

Step 7 Reenter the new password.

The system checks the new password for strength. If the password does not contain enough different characters, you get prompted to enter a new password.

Step 8 After the system verifies the strength of the new password, the password gets reset, and you get prompted to press any key to exit the password reset utility.

Please rate useful posts..

This Discussion