Views
Helpful
Replies

Cann't open/start Device Discovery

jardalic1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

yesterday I installed CiscoWorks LMS3.1 and everything seemed fine. I started Device Discovery and few times I refreshed it and could see that some devices had been discovered and last time when I had refreshed I got the exception:

The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfillinf this request.

The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.17.logs

I thought that next time when I log in and start Device Discovery everything will go fine cause in this exception I get some Read timed out. but, unfortunately I was wrong. This morning I tried to open Device Discovery page and I got the same exception.

Do you have any idea what could happened and what should I do to start device discovery?

Thx,

Jelena

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please post the NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/logs/stdout.log.

here it is. I also post stderr.log

Run the command:

pdterm CSDiscovery

Then see if you can view Discovery Status.

hi,

just to let you know that this is known bug

- CSCsq63152 HTTP Status 500 error thrown while launching Discovery screen

And it's said that after a while, the screen will be launch able with no issue.

In my case, I tried to refresh page for like 10 to 15 times and it didn't help, but restart of server did :)

Br,

Jelena

The problem is actually due to a hung CSDiscovery process. When this happens, it no longer services RPC requests. The quick workaround is to shut it down. This will cause the web frontend to look at a static file to get Discovery status.