cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

backup mars configuration only

m.slunsky
Level 1
Level 1

hi all! we want to backup only the mars configuration. cant find how to do this. thanks in advance! michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rajett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
9 Replies 9

rajett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

Use the PNEXP CLI command. There's an option to export the config only.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/command/reference/cref1.html#wp1137699

Raymond

thanks! kr michael

Are you using PNEXP currently? The only issue I found with the approach was that the services do not restart after the PNEXP command runs (not even with a pnstart command). TAC says this is normal and that PNEXP shouldn't be used for config backup (though it seems odd that on the GEN2 appliances the command just became available in the 6.x train).

We've temporarily worked around it by using an expect script to run the PNEXP command once a week which then reboots the MARS when its complete.

hi! many thanks for your help! kr michael

I was just told by TAC twice that pnexp should only be used to migrate from Gen1 to Gen2, and that it should not be used for general backups.

Does anyone use it this way successfully?

I wonder if you could perform one at 2am and see what kind of delta there is between the normal archive backup? In any event, I personally wouldn't use it for a specific purpose without Cisco blessing it for that use.

Why not just turn on archiving and setting the remote storage capacity to 1? It doesn't give you "point in time" backup, but will back it up every day at 2am.

Use of PNEXP assumes you are upgrading code and importing the config/data after the upgrade. You can not PNIMP to the same version of code so if you have to restore, better hope there is an upgrade you can run first. This was told to me by someone at Cisco

Any update to this post? I too would like a Cisco blessed method of exporting the configurations.

I second that!  Backing up the MARS configuration does not appear to be as straight forward as tftp'ing a router/switch/firewall's config to a safe location.  I would really like someone to reply.  I'm trying to write an implementation plan to upgrade my appliance, but my document seems like a lie at this point! lol.  Someone help????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: