SPA9xx licensing with CUCM

Answered Question

Hello. I have a customer that plans to connect a number of SPA942 and SPA962 to a Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster. What licenses do we need to enable all line buttons on the phones? As far as I understand, we need 6 DLUs per 3rd party SIP phone to be able to use more than one line button. Right? But for SPA942, I read somewhere that it comes with 2 line buttons enabled by default, and additional license needs to be purchased to enable the remaining 2 line buttons. Does that apply when it is connected to a CUCM, defined as an advanced 3rd party SIP phone and uses 6 DLUs? If yes, please send me the SKU for that additional license. If you need any clarification, please let me know. Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Alberto Montilla about 7 years 9 months ago

Yes. You can.

Correct Answer by Patrick Born about 7 years 9 months ago

Sasha,

Single line phones such as the SPA901, SPA921, and SPA922 are considered by CUCM to be basic phones and thus require 3 device license units [DLU] each.

Multi-line phones or wireless phones such as SPA941, SPA942, SPA962, SPA525G, WIP330, and WIP310 are considered by CUCM to be advanced phones and thus require 6 DLUs each.

Please stress to your customer that:

• Cisco TAC does not support SPA phones in a CUCME or CUCM environment because these phones are not part of Cisco's unified communications [UC] solution. If TAC support is a requirement, then consider using Cisco's Unified IP phones.
  • Interoperability is limited to RFC3261 level, SIPv2. Thus your customer can expect the following types of features to work: inbound and outbound calls, call hold [no music on hold], transfer, conferencing [local], and call forward. Applications and extension mobility are not supported.
  • Non-Unified IP phones can only be manually provisioned because CUCM does not provide any provisioning facilities.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Correct Answer by Patrick Born about 7 years 9 months ago

Hi Sasha,

The SPA942 has all 4 line buttons enabled by default and there is no additional SKU required.

You may need to upgrade the SPA942's firmware if your phone is running pre-5xx firmware. Download, with login, from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414124

The SPA962 has all 6 line buttons enabled by default. Newer firmware is available, with login, from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414125

I'm not sure about the CUCM DLU, I'll get back to you on this...

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Correct Answer
Patrick Born Tue, 02/17/2009 - 06:27

Hi Sasha,

The SPA942 has all 4 line buttons enabled by default and there is no additional SKU required.

You may need to upgrade the SPA942's firmware if your phone is running pre-5xx firmware. Download, with login, from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414124

The SPA962 has all 6 line buttons enabled by default. Newer firmware is available, with login, from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414125

I'm not sure about the CUCM DLU, I'll get back to you on this...

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Correct Answer
Patrick Born Tue, 02/17/2009 - 07:59

Sasha,

Single line phones such as the SPA901, SPA921, and SPA922 are considered by CUCM to be basic phones and thus require 3 device license units [DLU] each.

Multi-line phones or wireless phones such as SPA941, SPA942, SPA962, SPA525G, WIP330, and WIP310 are considered by CUCM to be advanced phones and thus require 6 DLUs each.

Please stress to your customer that:

• Cisco TAC does not support SPA phones in a CUCME or CUCM environment because these phones are not part of Cisco's unified communications [UC] solution. If TAC support is a requirement, then consider using Cisco's Unified IP phones.
  • Interoperability is limited to RFC3261 level, SIPv2. Thus your customer can expect the following types of features to work: inbound and outbound calls, call hold [no music on hold], transfer, conferencing [local], and call forward. Applications and extension mobility are not supported.
  • Non-Unified IP phones can only be manually provisioned because CUCM does not provide any provisioning facilities.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------