cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA9xx licensing with CUCM

sasha
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have a customer that plans to connect a number of SPA942 and SPA962 to a Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster. What licenses do we need to enable all line buttons on the phones? As far as I understand, we need 6 DLUs per 3rd party SIP phone to be able to use more than one line button. Right? But for SPA942, I read somewhere that it comes with 2 line buttons enabled by default, and additional license needs to be purchased to enable the remaining 2 line buttons. Does that apply when it is connected to a CUCM, defined as an advanced 3rd party SIP phone and uses 6 DLUs? If yes, please send me the SKU for that additional license. If you need any clarification, please let me know. Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sasha,

The SPA942 has all 4 line buttons enabled by default and there is no additional SKU required.

You may need to upgrade the SPA942's firmware if your phone is running pre-5xx firmware. Download, with login, from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414124

The SPA962 has all 6 line buttons enabled by default. Newer firmware is available, with login, from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414125

I'm not sure about the CUCM DLU, I'll get back to you on this...

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

View solution in original post

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sasha,

Single line phones such as the SPA901, SPA921, and SPA922 are considered by CUCM to be basic phones and thus require 3 device license units [DLU] each.

Multi-line phones or wireless phones such as SPA941, SPA942, SPA962, SPA525G, WIP330, and WIP310 are considered by CUCM to be advanced phones and thus require 6 DLUs each.

Please stress to your customer that:

• Cisco TAC does not support SPA phones in a CUCME or CUCM environment because these phones are not part of Cisco's unified communications [UC] solution. If TAC support is a requirement, then consider using Cisco's Unified IP phones.
  • Interoperability is limited to RFC3261 level, SIPv2. Thus your customer can expect the following types of features to work: inbound and outbound calls, call hold [no music on hold], transfer, conferencing [local], and call forward. Applications and extension mobility are not supported.
  • Non-Unified IP phones can only be manually provisioned because CUCM does not provide any provisioning facilities.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sasha,

The SPA942 has all 4 line buttons enabled by default and there is no additional SKU required.

You may need to upgrade the SPA942's firmware if your phone is running pre-5xx firmware. Download, with login, from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414124

The SPA962 has all 6 line buttons enabled by default. Newer firmware is available, with login, from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414125

I'm not sure about the CUCM DLU, I'll get back to you on this...

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sasha,

Single line phones such as the SPA901, SPA921, and SPA922 are considered by CUCM to be basic phones and thus require 3 device license units [DLU] each.

Multi-line phones or wireless phones such as SPA941, SPA942, SPA962, SPA525G, WIP330, and WIP310 are considered by CUCM to be advanced phones and thus require 6 DLUs each.

Please stress to your customer that:

• Cisco TAC does not support SPA phones in a CUCME or CUCM environment because these phones are not part of Cisco's unified communications [UC] solution. If TAC support is a requirement, then consider using Cisco's Unified IP phones.
  • Interoperability is limited to RFC3261 level, SIPv2. Thus your customer can expect the following types of features to work: inbound and outbound calls, call hold [no music on hold], transfer, conferencing [local], and call forward. Applications and extension mobility are not supported.
  • Non-Unified IP phones can only be manually provisioned because CUCM does not provide any provisioning facilities.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Thanks for your answers! Just another clarification, please. Can we register SPA942 or SPA962 as a Basic SIP device (3 DLUs) and use it as a single-line IP phone? Best regards.

Yes. You can.

sasha
Level 1
Level 1

Great! Your answers were quite prompt and correct. Thanks a lot!

Hi

Can you please help me how to add SPA 303 to CUCM 8.6 and above.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: