Exact-exams

Answered Question
Feb 17th, 2009

I just want to shortly describe my experience with the above mentioned software.

In my effort to pass the 642-825 ISCW exam, I bought an exact-exams preparation test. The first interesting thing was, that all pictures included have a nice, big, red TestKing text displayed on them, almost making it impossible to read information on them. I wonder why TestKing when I had bought an Exact-Exams product. But anyway, it is not interesting.

What interesting is, that there are questions referring to a certain network scenario for which scenario the configuration information (either SDM pictures or CLI output) are comletely missing. Moreover, there are answers to these questions. Without knowing the configuration, the answers are absolutely meaningless.

When I asked the support to correct the missing information, they simply said that "this is normal" and they only guarantee 95% coverage of the real exam.

They simply did not want to understand, that this is not the question of coverage but rather the fact, that the product I bought is partly useless.

On the other hand, the provided testing software crashes from time to time, and therefore I were unable to go through all the questions.

Eventually, the story ends here. I have payed for something what is partly useless.

Now everyone can conclude as necessary.

Regards,

Laszlo

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by marikakis about 7 years 9 months ago

You probably haven't realized I am a woman. Wash up is what I am supposed to do, not routing! I guess I keep some balance by doing the wash up thing :-)))

The typical qualifications story. I don't know if there are many, but I am sure there jobs that do not require certifications. When I started working in an ISP I saw with my own eyes what experienced people can do "certification-less". There must be jobs out there that need the job done instead of having the test passed.

Still, life is cruel and looking for a job in hard times is even more cruel. I had resigned from my position recently and I am leaving by the end of this month. Employer delayed 6 months of my payment. I won't tolerate such behavior. Nobody has to pay me in the forums, but my employer simply has to. I am lucky enough to not have any particular obligations and I will survive for some time until I see what I will do.

Good luck to you and to all of us!

Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
marikakis Tue, 02/17/2009 - 06:42

Everyone hear concludes that you payed to pass the exam, they tricked you and now you are reporting this in a cisco forum. Do you understand that this is like: you pay someone beforehand to steal some things for you, they steal somewhat less and you go to the police to report that the deal was not met? Deals of this type are destined to be broken because you just can't complain about it.

franklaszlo Tue, 02/17/2009 - 07:44

To be honest I have never thought of it as "steeling" something or paying someone to steel something. I attended a Cisco course, bought the Cisco press's ISCW book and bundled to the book there was a testing software included. I payed for the Course, for the book and therefore also for the software. By doing so, I eventually payed to pass the exam, too.

I thought buying a preparation test is just another way to prepare for the exam.

Therefore your answer, and the way you think about it have really suprised me. However, I am not telling you are wrong in any way, it just surprised me because I did not want be unfair. Far from it. This is the reason why I payed for it when I could have downloaded it for free...

Thank you for showing me this point of view, I might have thought it wrong.

By the way, I have already taken the test and unfortunately failed it by 10 points. Since 1997, after succesfully taking more than 20 exams for first, this has been the first occasion when I failed one...(for ScottMac)

scottmac Tue, 02/17/2009 - 06:57

Not to put too fine a point on it, but, people who seek out these types of "study tests" tend to "partly useless" too.

Employers are not looking for someone that passed a test, they are looking for someone that knows what they're doing ... or at least someone that has performed the studies and has a clue.

marikakis Tue, 02/17/2009 - 07:13

To be somewhat fair, there is an acceptable way to see what's on the exam with 100% coverage: go and take it! :-)

marikakis Wed, 02/18/2009 - 03:50

I am really sorry. This type of material for preparation is not considered acceptable in this community, but I guess not everyone knows about this point of view when they hear some colleague suggesting its use. To be honest, before I knew about that, I did not know. Some colleague suggested me to use something like that once. I have been preparing for CCNA for some time, I had read tones of pages and was still reluctant to take it. However, the phrase "it's the same as the actual exam" just did not sound right to me and I just could not do it.

On the one hand, I was prepared and it would be a pity to fail because of some weirdly phrased questions. On the other hand, I had spent so much effort in preparation, I could not let a "ready answer test" take the credit for my possible accomplishment. And after taking the test and passing it, I would always feel less confident than before passing the exam, which I find not fair to myself.

Anyway, the lines are not so hard as I stated previously. You can see what is on the exam in general by taking it, which effectively means that if you pay vue/cisco directly you are legal and ethical. My only advice would be this: Try to know your material, regardless of your preparation method, which is all that counts. And sorry again if I made you feel bad in any way.

franklaszlo Fri, 02/20/2009 - 04:05

Thank you for beeing a little bit more appreciative, I feel much better now :-)

I understand now that this kind of materials are not considered acceptable. All right. But I also think if someone is using such a test to just learn the correct answers for specific questions without understanding why an answer is correct and why others are not, will never pass the exam.

While I was going through the test, I focused on the MEANING of the questions not the question itself. It took me a lot of time to prepare for the exam, and as you also stated, I would have felt unfair to myself if I just had learned the answer, and tried to pass the exam based on that. I really want to understand things not just learn it.

To just summarize, I have learned something from you, and I thank you for that, but that company tricked me anyway. I feel the difference is, that I thought I am doing something right, whereas they did something definately unfair.

marikakis Fri, 02/20/2009 - 04:58

I have a rather unusual view of certifications. I do not consider them a must. I consider them just a checkpoint. If I pass a test, it's a good sign, but doesn't mean I know it all. I don't even tell my employer when I take a certification test (and I have never failed one up to now).

I think people just don't realize how hard the material is. I mean really realize. They see others pass and they think they are stupid or something if they cannot pass. Others might have passed via the cheating path, while others might have tortured themselves literally to make it possible to pass.

When I passed my CCNA for the first time (and it was much easier than it is today), in order to develop an understanding of routing, I would put a study goal. I have the habit of wandering around the house, cooking, wash the dishes, etc. when something I read gives me a hard time. In that case, I deprived myself of going to the bathroom even if absolutely needed unless I had understood what I was reading!

I do not propose this nazi-style method to anyone. Routing makes more sense to me now. In fact, I love it. I just wanted to say that the material is hard and people should relax, understand that hard work is required, and everything will go well. It is not a matter of intelligence. You just have to be more patient with the material and it will make sense sooner or later.

franklaszlo Fri, 02/20/2009 - 05:43

You are really merciless to yourself. Doing the wash up ? Brrrr. :-)

My situation with the exams now has changed a little bit as compared to . I've been working for a company now for more then 12 years, and I used to pass the exams rather for "passion", only to show myself I can do that. (That's not the whole truth, because first I had to do my MCSE to achieve MS partner status for the company).

I attended Cisco courses only to further develop my knowledge, and I was also cuorious for networking technologies, too. I passed my CCNA in 2006, and since then I have not passed the other exams required for CCNP, even though I attended all courses and activey used many technologies I had been tought.

Now things has changed. Unfortunately it seems I have to look for another job, due to the recession.

Unfortunately I do not have many friends who could advice me a job, therfore I have to apply for new positions through headhunter companies. People who do not know me only can see my CV. HR decision makers first read my CV and focus on my achievments and certifications. I attended the courses in vain, if I do not hold a certification. I received many an answer asking me to first pass the missing exams and the apply again. Nice, isn't is ?

What I actually know is not tested, because employers first want applicants with certifications. The more the better. It is another question, that someone not holding a certification may be more experienced and may know more.

So, for some time, passing the exams is not a passion for me any more. It is a requirement.

Now, you may understand my point of view more detailed. However, do not misunderstand me. I am not telling you that things like that may entitle me to use the cheating path to pass an exam, as I told before I simply did not know it is considered cheating. What I am telling you that, unfortunately, I have to pass the exams and get the certification in order to be interviewed at all for a new job.

Correct Answer
marikakis Fri, 02/20/2009 - 07:17

You probably haven't realized I am a woman. Wash up is what I am supposed to do, not routing! I guess I keep some balance by doing the wash up thing :-)))

The typical qualifications story. I don't know if there are many, but I am sure there jobs that do not require certifications. When I started working in an ISP I saw with my own eyes what experienced people can do "certification-less". There must be jobs out there that need the job done instead of having the test passed.

Still, life is cruel and looking for a job in hard times is even more cruel. I had resigned from my position recently and I am leaving by the end of this month. Employer delayed 6 months of my payment. I won't tolerate such behavior. Nobody has to pay me in the forums, but my employer simply has to. I am lucky enough to not have any particular obligations and I will survive for some time until I see what I will do.

Good luck to you and to all of us!

franklaszlo Fri, 02/20/2009 - 07:49

Actually once I was thinking about your name as it can be a hungarian name, and in this case obviusly a woman but I forgot about it later.

Well, then can I consider the bathroom story. More merciless :-)

I won by one month against you on beeing not paid. A doubtful prize, and I am not as lucky as you regarding obligations.

I would gladly disscuss with you about this topic in personal mail if you wish, but regarding this Cisco forum I think we have gone through what we needed to.

I also wish good luck to you and all forum users !

Mohamed Sobair Sun, 02/22/2009 - 12:33

Hi,

I personally disagree with you and Maria on your points.

My openion is that you didnt pay for nothing, although I dont agree that you should rely on Testking in order to pass any exam NOT only cisco's ones..but Testking or smilarly vendors provide you with the clue about the exam, different type of questions , tricky questions but it doesnt mean that you shouldn't read cause in the end the point is your knowledge not Only to pass an exams.

Maria Said the employers want the Job to be done and they are looking for people who can get it done, definitely yes but they also do support certification , By saying that Maria you demolished the Value of the Certification in the IT Or other Industries. why is the value then of being certified? although experience people can get the job done but what differenciate between them and the certified people is that those has read and studied for that.

Eventually, I dont recommend going through such product If any unless a candidate is fully prepared cause in the end its study and track rather than only exam. besides Employers would have a big advantage if thier employees becoming certified or encourage them to do so, the negative impact for the employers may be to pay Extra money....

PS: Maria I wish you better position/opportunity in a great company with profound community.

Regards,

Mohamed

marikakis Sun, 02/22/2009 - 13:26

I demolished nothing. I am taking exams as well and I actually pay for them. I also study all the time, I never cheat, I have work experience as an ISP engineer, as a DSLAM embedded software developer and I have worked in the development of configuration automation systems. I try to answer people's questions everyday no matter how busy I am. In work I get delay to my payments from my employer. And note that in my country those jobs are not paid better than any average job you can get even if you are a CCIE (try to divide the average american salary by a factor between 5 and 10 to get a good estimate). Here I don't ask for my posts to be rated, though I sometimes wonder how much more effort should I put to cause the person that asks to recognize it. Does anybody think that the reason for all this is the fact that I am not a CCIE or something? A, life is cruel. Thank you for your wishes.

marikakis Sun, 02/22/2009 - 14:45

And for the record: When I was working in an ISP we had issues that no CCIE could solve for us. I remember the person who was training me had pretty good laughs at various suggestions from the CCIEs that were supposed to give us advice. After some time at work I have had my share of laughs as well. People just don't get it that there is more to the network engineering job than certifications and experience. The attitude is the most important thing. Recognizing your mistakes, recognizing the contribution of fellow engineers, and a genuine interest to help others makes you a better engineer, not a certification stamp on your forehead (even if combined with some work experience) just so you can make more money.

Actions

This Discussion