cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Generate Email on Sup failover link downs etc..

moles3144
Level 1
Level 1

All,

New to Mars and starting to understand the framework. Has anyone had success looking for linkup link down just on Gig or portchannel links? Or looking for sup failovers to generate events to email? Also I am trying to see how I can look at the graph for resources of CPU/Mem & interface and can seem to find them. I am running 6.x code.

5 Replies 5

rajett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Getting those messages depends on the logging level. If it's too high, you won't see the link up/down messages. You may need to adjust the logging levels on the device to get the appropriate logs sent to MARS.

Run a query on raw messages from that specific device and look for the link up/down messages you seek. Once you find them with a query successfuly you can create a rule. Define an action on that rule to send an email when it fires.

Just be careful to construct the rule so it fires on the link up/down messages you want and not all of the link up/down messages generated by the device. Also make sure to specify the device you want and not just look at all link up/down events from all devices. If you have edge switches reporting to MARS you do not need to know everytime a workstation reboots or powers off/on. ;)

Tthanks for the response I assume the same methodology applies to sup failover? Also is there anyway to look at the resource stuff per device?

No.

MARS will alert you to problems if it's a supported device for monitoring health information - CPU/Memory utilization, etc - but it's not a full blown link monitor.

Yes, force a failover and check the raw logs from the devices for the message that is sent. Create a rule to fire when that message is seen.

If that message is an unknown event you'll need to extend the native parsing with custom parsing entries. This capability is available in the 6.x software set.

Can you tell me if the 6509 should be entered in as a device of Cisco 12.2 Switch or Cisco IOS 12.2

Switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: