Views
Helpful
Replies

ACNS FOR INTERNET TRAFFIC

dot10000000000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am proposing ACNS on WAE as a solution for internet caching. My client have an aggragated internet service to one ISP. They want to reduce traffic on their link as much as possible and they have decided to go for a cache engine. I have not implemented this before so i just want to confirm if ACNS running on a WAE is a viable solution and what are the necessary components e.g CDM and cache engine at the internet edge.

Regards.

2 Replies 2

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ACNS can cache multiple protocols by default, however if you want to cache Windows Media and/or Real, there are licenses that you will need.

You can deploy a stand alone (or multiple) ACNS Cache and use the CLI to configure them easily. Here is a link for configuring ACNS stand alone boxes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/acns/v55/configuration/local/guide/55ldg.html

If you have other ACNS CEs in the network, or want the functionality of a centralized management and reporting box, then use a CDM.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/acns/v55/configuration/central/guide/55cdg.html

Basically I would use WCCP or a L4-7 switch (proxy.pac is also used) to intercept and direct the traffic to one or more ACNS CEs, it's very handy to be able to load balance multiple boxes for higher levels of traffic. On ACNS, you can use rules to enforce object caching, deny caching, block sites, etc. That is where the CDM comes in handy, so you can push the same rules down to all the boxes at once. There are also all kinds of HTTP protocol tweaks.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Thanks,

Right on point. Just what i need to confirm.

Regards.

Dot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: