cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7206 Open device slot0 failed (Device not ready) Message

sestonenppd
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple 7206VXR routers (one production and one spare) that are giving me this message when I do a sho flash command. I know the slots work because I powered the spare down, installed another ATA flash disk in slot0, powered up, and was able to read it via sho flash. I powered down, reinserted the original disk, powered back up, still no access. I know you're not supposed to have to power down and up to replace Flash disks but with 2 bad ones I didn't want to risk a 3rd. These disks were made in 2000, well before the 2005-2006 Field Notice references for flash disk defects.

I have verified that the spare is booting from the "back up" IOS instead of the flash disk. The production unit hasn't been rebooted, yet. I do have the ability to boot via TFTP if necessary.

Any options besides buy new and reload?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried re-formating the (original) flash to see if it works?

Not yet. I want to make sure I'm out of other options before that. If I don't here anything else, I'll give it a shot.

sestonenppd
Level 1
Level 1

The answer is here:

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/The_Open_device_(device_name)_failed_(Device_not_ready)_message

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card