Views
Helpful
Replies

Discover Settings Common Services

j.ballesta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some devices what are reachables by cdp and ping (from 192.168.1.182 to 192.168.1.197) but if I want to discover them with CiscoWorks they are not discovered and application show this devices like unreachables.

These are my discover settings (settings_discover.doc) and this is the result I get (result.doc)

Am I doing anything incorrectly? Why are this devices unreachables with CiscoWorks?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No. DCR does not contact the devices, or verify the credentials. That is left up to other applications like RME and CS Discovery. You can add a device to DCR with missing or incorrect credentials. You will just not be able to manage the devices in other applications.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unreachable pertains to your SNMP settings. It looks like you have one community string configured. Make sure all of these unreachable devices have this community string configured, and allow the LMS server's IP address to poll them.

I can add these devices manually without problems. So, I think the community is configured correctly.

In addition, all devices have same community but the discovery only discover some devices.

Can not the problem be other?

Adding a device manually does not mean the community string is correct. Other than Discovery, DCR does not contact the device.

Other than incorrect SNMP community strings, access-lists or firewalls, it could be a timeout issue. If these devices take longer 12 seconds to reply to SNMP, then they would be marked as unreachable.

The easiest thing to do is start a sniffer trace filtering on traffic to one of these unreachable devices. Then, start a new Discovery. When it completes, look at the trace to see what packets were sent, and what credentials were used.

Thanks for reply, I will try to start a sniffer.

Other question about this, if I add a device manually, does not the community string mean is correct? I don't know because after I add a device manually and without I introduce device type for example, later the device appears in DCR with device type corresponding. Is not this data collected by SNMP? If it is not collected by SNMP, how is it collected?

No. DCR does not contact the devices, or verify the credentials. That is left up to other applications like RME and CS Discovery. You can add a device to DCR with missing or incorrect credentials. You will just not be able to manage the devices in other applications.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: