Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP server/client mode question

I have 7 switch closets in my building. I have noticed that some switches are server mode and some are client mode.There isnt any thing different on the closets so i am thinking all the closets need to be client mode.

Would it be best practice to have one server and make the rest client mode? Then on the VTP server, set up pruning to only flood the switches that need the traffic?

thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The you should be OK - as they have all picked up the relevant vlan database from the highest server.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Yes - 1 dedicated switch should be the VTP server for the domain, but having a secondary would not hurt. Typically I always choose the STP root switch as the VTP server, and the secondary STP root as the secondary VTP Server.

If you are having issues with broadcasts, unknown mulitcasts or unicast floods then pruining is required.

HTH>

if i made them client mode during work hours, i wont see any hiccups or anything should i?

Now that all depends - do not forget the all devices set as clients will have their vlan database overwritten.

So if you have a vlan in a client switch - that does not exist in the vtp server, when the VTP update is recevied by the client - it will be removed.

HTH>

they are all on the same vtp domain...

The you should be OK - as they have all picked up the relevant vlan database from the highest server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card