cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need to do a "wr standby" on an standby HSRP router?

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

guys, very simple question... I'm about to make changes to a router which is doing HSRP with another one (the standby).

After making the changes, do I need to update the standby router? if so, what is the command?

I know that on PIXes (doing Failover) every time you make a chance on the active PIX, you have to update the Standby firewall by issuing a "wr standby"

but again I am not too sure about the routers doing HSRP.

thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Angel,

no you can use normal

write memory or

copy running startup

HSRP alone doesn't involve a so close relationship betweeen the two routers.

a wr standby should give you an error message on a normal router.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Angel

As Giuseppe points out the relationship between HSRP routers is quite different from the relationship between PIXes. What you need to do is to make the change on the first router, then write mem or copy run start on the first router, then make the change on the second router, and write mem or copy run start on the second router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I see.... so there is no way to make changes on the first router and that those changes will propogate automatically to the standby HSRP router?

please excuse the simple questions but Im new to hsrp and I know these are questions that can be quickly answered by the experts :)

thank you

Angel

You are correct that there is no way to make changes on one HSRP router and to have those changes automatically propagate to the other HSRP router. You must make the changes separately in each router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco