wlc service-port IP

Unanswered Question
Feb 17th, 2009

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled by the documentation for the WLC concerning the service-port interface.

In the "WLC and LAP basic configuration example" documentation it is said: "If you do not want to use the service port, enter 0.0.0.0 for the IP address and netmask."

But in the "WLC Configuration Best Practices" it is said: "Do not leave an interface with a 0.0.0.0 address, for example an unconfigured service port. It might affect DHCP handling in the controller."

So, can I leave 0.0.0.0 on the service port or not?

Thanks,

Seb.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ericgarnel Tue, 02/17/2009 - 11:10

That is difficult to say. The best practices rule infers dynamic interfaces whereas the service interface is a physical one. Also, not all services are available on all interfaces.

why do you not want to use the service port?

Leo Laohoo Tue, 02/17/2009 - 13:55

Don't rule out the service port. This could save you if and when your WLC starts having a spasms.

I don't know with others, but I use the service port as a remote out-of-band-management in case the management IP should somehow fail. Saved me several times in the past.

s.barbereau Wed, 02/18/2009 - 00:22

Hi,

thanks both for the answers.

We are using the console port of the wlc for remote OOBM. In our case i don't see the point in putting up anything on the service port in terms of configuration.

I merely wondering if we still have to configure it or not. We see some "DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR" (service port binding errors) and documentation was indicating that it may be due to problems with the service-port.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode