Views
Helpful
Replies

wlc service-port IP

s.barbereau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled by the documentation for the WLC concerning the service-port interface.

In the "WLC and LAP basic configuration example" documentation it is said: "If you do not want to use the service port, enter 0.0.0.0 for the IP address and netmask."

But in the "WLC Configuration Best Practices" it is said: "Do not leave an interface with a 0.0.0.0 address, for example an unconfigured service port. It might affect DHCP handling in the controller."

So, can I leave 0.0.0.0 on the service port or not?

Thanks,

Seb.

3 Replies 3

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

That is difficult to say. The best practices rule infers dynamic interfaces whereas the service interface is a physical one. Also, not all services are available on all interfaces.

why do you not want to use the service port?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't rule out the service port. This could save you if and when your WLC starts having a spasms.

I don't know with others, but I use the service port as a remote out-of-band-management in case the management IP should somehow fail. Saved me several times in the past.

Hi,

thanks both for the answers.

We are using the console port of the wlc for remote OOBM. In our case i don't see the point in putting up anything on the service port in terms of configuration.

I merely wondering if we still have to configure it or not. We see some "DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR" (service port binding errors) and documentation was indicating that it may be due to problems with the service-port.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card