cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RightFax Patches

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We are rolling out RightFax purchased from Cisco and have it installed and mostly configured. I am concerned about patches..should I simply run the windows updates or use the Microsoft updates that are available on Cisco's site (Microsoft updates for Unity)?

Thanks,

Joe

6 Replies 6

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

Does anyone have any suggestions?  We have had this server in place for almost a year and have applied no patches to it.  I assume someone else has had a similar question.

Thanks,

Joe

When you installed it, did you install Windows from Microsoft media, or from a Cisco-branded disc?  If you used the Cisco 2003 OS disk, you should only use the updates from Cisco.  If you installed it from Microsoft, use their updates.

Thanks for the reply.  The server was installed by CIsco media but for some reason the Cisco OS version is not listed.  The server states that it is running

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 1.  Manufactored and supported by Cisco Systems.

The winver tells me Microsoft Windows version 5.2 (Build 3790.srv03_ap1_gdr.080813-1204 : Service Pack 1) ...I know this is alot of information but I want to make sure I use the correct patch.

Thanks,

Joe

I still haven't installed any patches on this server.  As I stated the Cisco OS version doesn't give the correct responses.  I am not for sure if the server was installed with a Cisco Disk or a Microsoft Disk.  I do know that the background image on the desktop is a Cisco backdrop.  I am concerned that if I attempt to install one of the Cisco OS patches I could leave the server in a non working state.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe

A quick look at the RightFax install guide doesn't mention the Cisco imaged build process.

Sounds to me like your Cisco partner has used the Cisco OS for CM/IPCC to build the server then installed RightFax on top... Not something I would do..

Is it a CIsco MCS server?

If the OS Version applet doesn't show you the right info, what does it show?

Bear in mind that regardless of what process was used to build the server, it's still Windows, and it's whatever version is listed when you right click My Computer and hit properties... Installing non-CIsco issued patches will not break things even on an app with a Cisco-managed OS, it's just that they may not be tested against the app. I would make sure I had a proper backup of the server, and proceed with patching as you would any other non-Cisco app in your organisation.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Actually, I don't think that's the case.  If an MCS OS build was used then you'd have the associated logs and default folder structure for that install.  As well as the version check capability.  Instead, it sounds like the server was built similar to Unity which is with a Norton Ghost image and essentially commercial Windows OS licensed to Cisco.  My advice is to use the standard Winows patches to patch the Right Fax server.  I had some experience building out Right Fax not too long ago and it was just a standard Windows OS image.  Cisco only OEM's the software from OpenText (used to be captaris) so I doubt they'd do anything special by requiring an MCS OS build.

Hailey

Please rate all helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: