cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 2600 CPU Usage 100%

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I have the below router in production which is showing CPU usage 100% during some file transfer between the segments.

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(19), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

I am using only two fast ethernet interfaces on this router which are connected to a cisco switch and are autonegotiated to 100MBPS. IP CEF is also set on the router.

Is it natural for the router to show CPU usage 100% during big file transfer? Is there any work around?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The 3560 is a multi-layer (L2/L3). You can do OSPF if you have the Enhanced license installed.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no work around. The performances of the 2600 are just not adequate for fast ethernet, and it is also slowing down the file transfer

Get a bigger router or perhaps a L3 switch like an 8 ports 3560, that is very cost effective.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Agree with Paolo. For LAN FastEthernet or GigEthernet, you often want to consider L3 switches. The 3560 model I think he is refering too would be the Catalyst 3560-8PC, more info on that series here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/index.html

My current router is running OSPF with 2 fa interfaces. I am not looking for a switch though, but can I use the above switch as router as well?

The 3560 is a multi-layer (L2/L3). You can do OSPF if you have the Enhanced license installed.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the rating.

I have some more queries.

1. How can I see the active traffic session on the router like netstat -n on windows?

2. I have set IP CEF on my router. Is it O.K? Do I need to configure ip route-cache {path} or Fast switching on any interface?

CPU utilization on my router goes high even when I transfer a 50MB file.

"CPU utilization on my router goes high even when I transfer a 50MB file."

Yes, that's to be expected! Reread Paolo's post.

For even a single FastEthernet interface, you need a much, much faster software router or a L3 switch. (The software routers are often most suitable for WAN bandwidths.)

PS:

#1 netflow cache or IP accounting stats might provide the information you want

#2 generally you always want CEF active, with it you don't need route-cache (CEF is even better than fast switching), however you might also activate flow cache

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card