cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can HP ProCurve 5412 add in my current Cisco environemnt?

Wlewx11
Level 1
Level 1

Would like to know whether anyone mix this 2 product before in the layer 2 Lan environment? Any conflict?

3 Replies 3

ccannon88567
Level 1
Level 1

It should be fine to use as an access switch.

All depends on what features and protocols you are using in the Cisco LAN.

eg - will not participate in STP unless you are using MST for L2 loop prevention. It also will not be compatible with VTP so multiple VLANS could be tricky.

If you just require additional access ports for nodes on one vlan, best thing to do would be to bridge it with a port on the Cisco configured for a single vlan and it will just be an extenstion of that vlan assuming all ports on the HP are in vlan1.

HTH

how about if i would like add this HP product as my 1st VOIP connection (voice vlan and network port)to my users.

My current was 3 tier Cisco hierarchical model.Any impact if i mix it?

"not be compatible with VTP " mean HP Procurve can't run as Trunk mode?

gesadmin1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using HP 2810's as access layer switches and Cisco at the core/distribution layer. All of what Carlton is saying is true in terms of STP interoperability and VLAN propagation. With that said, if you don't make use of VTP in your Cisco environment then creating and managing the VLANs in the HP environment will not be so bad. The tricky part comes in when you try to integrate STP. If you're not already running MST(full standard, not pre-standard) on your Cisco's then it's not a lot of fun trying to get an optimal spanning-tree topology. If you are running MST on your Cisco's already then the HP's will integrate nicely. You can find one of my other posts on this forum labeled MSTP and PVST+ topologies where I talk about MST and PVST+ integration and Francois opens my eyes...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card