cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless mobility between 2 WLC's

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, when using 2 controllers, is it possible to sync the config between them automatically? or do you always have to do it on both manually?

6 Replies 6

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

No, this is not possible.

As a workaround I use the CLI the configure the WLCs. If you want to apply the same configurations on all WLC, just copy and paste the configuration.

The other option would be, to use WCS templates. Therefor you'll need the Wireless Control System (independend product).

Luther that works fine I have done the same thing however you will need to manually change the Ip address that are different per controller

Not applicable

Hi Luther. Well I just reread your question and no not automatically. What you can do is access the command line and issue a show running-config copy and paste that out to a text file and then change the Ip addressing in the text file and then copy that into the 2 controller

You can create templates in WCS to pass the configuration information for 95-98% of the settings to multiple controllers. This is what WCS was designed to do.

I agree, pushing templates via WCS is definitely the right way to manage the WLCs. We have been asking about a feature that would allow you to compare two WLC configs for quite some time. I understand that WCS will have a feature soon that will help with that.

If you don't have WCS, you could always take a config you're confident with from a WLC and upload that to another WLC. You'll have to have that second WLC off the network of course and use the service port to accomplish this. Once you have the config on the second WLC, you just have to change specific settings (like system name, interface ip's, mobility members, etc.) before putting it back on the network.

No doubt more work that it should be...

This works well with a single deployment of a controller but the problem we see with it is you have to change all the interface information which is 90% of the configuration wizard work. We just completed a deployment of 240 controllers located at 229 different locations around the world. We staged and configured prior to shipping to the sites for our install teams to complete. Then we simply pushed templates for any needed changes. I have pushed for the same WCS feature for years as well but there are some much other needed upgrades to WCS. The IDS/IPS piece being the most important I think at this time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card