Helpful
Replies

SNMP and the ACE Blade

olumidekomolafe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there

This is a bit of a vague question..sorry

But, does anyone have any idea which MIBs are REALLY supported for the ACE module/blade for the 6500?

I have a customer with an Infovista NMS and is unable to pull any stats for the ACE blade - both admin and user contexts?

Has anyone had any success pulling SNMP data for the ACE blade?

The blade is running Version A2(1.0) [build 3.0(0)A2(1.0)

Thank you all.

7 Replies 7

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A simple snmpwalk works for me.

[root@linux-1 cisco]# snmpwalk -v2c -c cisco 192.168.30.121

SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Application Control Engine Service Module

SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.730

SNMPv2-MIB::sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (1875414) 5:12:34.14

SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 = STRING:

SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: switch

Is your customer able to do that ?

We support partially the following MIBs

CISCO-SLB-MIB

CISCO-ENHANCED-SLB-MIB

CISCO-SLB-EXT-MIB

And also some of the standard MIBs

Gilles

Thanks Gilles

I would request another snmp walk but, from looking at the following page

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/ace/ace-supportlist.html

seems a lot more MIBs are/should be supported.

Customer has just loaded the ENHANCED-SLB-MIB and still get nothing back.

When mentioned "partial support" would you might expanding on that point?

I thank you.

Hey Gilles

If you are still reading this thread, I have managed to do an SNMP walk / get-next to the MIBs listed above. I must say the results I got back were quite dissapointing.

got some stuff for

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.161, quite a bit for SLB-EXT-MIB - but only Admin context,

Nothing on the virtual contexts.

And only a value for the ENHANCED-SLB-MIB. (cesRealServerNotifEnable)

Is this really all I can get from the ACE Blade via SNMP?

not sure what you are looking for.

But you can get the status of all objects like rserver, serverfarm, vserver, probes, ... which is basically all you need.

If you need a tool to configure the box, try ANM.

If you want to build your own tool or colelct information that does not exist in snmp mib, you can use the xml interface.

Gilles.

As you said I am interested in physical attribs for the blade itself like CPU, memory and rserver,serverfarm,virtual server for various contexts on the blade

Thks..

if you want context specific information, you need to configure snmp in the context itself and access the snmp info through the context ip address.

You can also get the same info from the admin context, but you need to use a special request to specify the contect name.

See the following link for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/ace_appliances/vA3_1_0/configuration/admin/guide/snmp.html#wp1082931

Gilles.

Many thanks for your pointers Gilles..

It turns out the main issue was lack of snmp configuration in the user specified context. I have used the other method of contatenating the context name to the community string and I can see now see a lot more information but its just not what I want to see - nothing useful for realservers, some stats for serverfarms and virtual servers - the index of the OIDs for things am seeing is way past the index descriptions in the MIB and SNMP object navigator.. I am of the mind of getting the configs onto the context before pursing with TAC further...

and thank you for the link.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: