Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan information to be propagated through extended lan

NacroFirewall
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

We are planning to move our co-location centre to a new provider and as a part of smooth migration we are installing 100 Mb dedicated link between our co-location centres. Now we are running 10 vlans in our current datacentre and we want to replicate the same vlans at our new datacentre. I can use static routes or any routing protocol to route the defined subnets to new centre. However I need to propagate the Vlan information which are currently in our existing datacentre to the new datacentre. Will that be achievable through VTP server- Client mechanism or does it need any other configuration or connectivity.

Regards,

Prasant.Ch

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Prasant,

if you have purchased a L2 transport service you can think of extending the vlans using VTP:

in this case you can connect to the service provider with a L2 trunk.

But the service provider can choice to transport or to block your VTP frames (l2 protocol transport over 802.1Q in Q)

if you have taken a L3 service you can emulate a L2 transport service using L2TPv3 vlan based.

In this case I think you should configure two VTP servers on each side and define the same set of vlans.

Doing this is probably safer in both scenarios.

if the service is L3 I would consider if extending the vlans is needed or not.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card