cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking switches

nygenxny123
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that you can set a priority level for which switch you want to become the master.

but as of right now we are building something new out, so priority isnt important.

once we connect the stackwise switches..will the switches automatically go into stack mode if we reboot one switch?

The reason I ask..is that after reviewing other switch stacks..i see this config...but I am unclear as to what it does and if i need to add it on the new configuration

!

aaa session-id common

switch 1 provision ws-cbs3120x-s

switch 2 provision ws-cbs3120x-s

system mtu routing 1500

ip subnet-zero

!

this is on the current switch that is supposed to be stacked with the other

aaa session-id common

switch 1 provision ws-cbs3120x-s

system mtu routing 1500

ip subnet-zero

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, the switches should go into stack mode after reboot.

The example you provided just provisions switch 2 in the stack. You don't have to issue that command for the stack to work. By provisioning a switch, you are telling the stack that a switch will be added in the stack.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, the switches should go into stack mode after reboot.

The example you provided just provisions switch 2 in the stack. You don't have to issue that command for the stack to work. By provisioning a switch, you are telling the stack that a switch will be added in the stack.

Peter010101
Level 1
Level 1

This should answer your questions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_sed/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1110719

Command

Purpose

Step 1

show switch

Display summary information about the switch stack.

Step 2

configure terminal

Enter global configuration mode.

Step 3

switch stack-member-number provision type

Specify the stack member number for the preconfigured switch. By default, no switches are provisioned.

For stack-member-number, the range is 1 to 9. Specify a stack member number that is not already used in the switch stack. See Step 1.

For type, enter the model number of a supported switch that is listed in the command-line help strings.

thanks!

You are welcome. Please remember to rate any suggestions that were helpful.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card