cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Whats needed for digital signage?

ericn8484_2
Level 1
Level 1

Our safety and HR department are looking to deploy 6 tv/video stations around our manufactoring floor that will display news/events and other company information. They had a professional AV company come in and give them a qoute to create this service but they also asked IT to give them an estimated cost to deploy this using something such as PC's and powerpoint.

As I mentioned they want 6 deployments right now. We would either need to deploy PC's or IPTV boxes. The 4305G seems like it would be a good fit.

I am assuming that you can place content on the 4305G harddrive and run content from the unit without central management location. However if we did look at central management, would we only need the following license:

Cisco Digital Media Manager, Digital Signage Feature License for Up To 10 DMPs DSM-FL-10

Or would we also need:

Cisco Digital Media Manager Base V5.0 Perpetual Software License DMM5.0-BASE-K9

Because the second license appears to be quite expensive (LIke $25,000-$35,00 based off of google shopping)

I would gather that 4305G using a flash file might work best.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasoninbtr
Level 1
Level 1

Eric,

You have to have the DMMs to control the DMPs. Also keep in mind that you will need a server to run DMM on (MCS-7835H2-K9-DMM5) as well as an external server to host content (we use a virtual Windows server running IIS) with adequate disk space.

It is definitly a pricy investment but DMS is a pretty solid product. There are other modules for DMS as well (Video Portal, Live Event Module, Enterprise TV, etc) and the BU has a lot of other things in the pipeline.

It surely is a more elegant solution than PCs with powerpoints :)

Hope this helps,

Jason

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jasoninbtr
Level 1
Level 1

Eric,

You have to have the DMMs to control the DMPs. Also keep in mind that you will need a server to run DMM on (MCS-7835H2-K9-DMM5) as well as an external server to host content (we use a virtual Windows server running IIS) with adequate disk space.

It is definitly a pricy investment but DMS is a pretty solid product. There are other modules for DMS as well (Video Portal, Live Event Module, Enterprise TV, etc) and the BU has a lot of other things in the pipeline.

It surely is a more elegant solution than PCs with powerpoints :)

Hope this helps,

Jason

Thank you very much for the info, that does help a lot. The system sounds very nice but I doubt we will get the money for such an implementation at this time. Maybe next years budget though=)

Eric I can show you other systems that are not even close to being as pricey as the Cisco digital signage product, but work just as well. The Cisco product is designed for very large deployments and is not a very good fit in most deployments with less than 75 screens. back end system is simply to expensive. I can show you alternatives if you are interested.

Cheers

C.O. Little colittle@gs-comm.com

Charles Little
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Eric

I you wish you can contact me directly and I can walk you through the complete bill of materials you will need for the deployment. We are a Cisco partner specializing in the Digital Media System. Yes it is pricey, but thats Cisco for you.

colittle@gs-comm.com (919) 556-0560

Cheers

C.O. Little