vlan configuration

Answered Question

i've added a new switch to our network, have it config with uplink connection. will the vlan config from the core propogate down or is that a manual process to set that up?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Mohamad Qayoom about 7 years 9 months ago

You are welcome. Please remember to rate any suggestions that were helpful.

Correct Answer by Tshi M about 7 years 9 months ago

you need to setup a vtp domain. Please refer to the second link i sent you earlier.

I will advise to make any changes after working hours just to be in the safe side.

you can either use:

switch(config)#vtp domain (your_domain_name)

or use the old

switch#vlan database

switch(vlan)# vtp domain (your_domain_name)

regards,

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Mohamad Qayoom Wed, 02/18/2009 - 13:39

It should propogate down as long as they are in the same VTP domain, the mode is correct, and your uplink is configured as a trunk port.

Mohamad Qayoom Wed, 02/18/2009 - 14:07

The port configurations look ok.

The core should be a VTP server and the other one should be a VTP client. And they both should be in same VTP domain.

Tshi M Thu, 02/19/2009 - 06:25

please check the VTP status of both switches. If you want to make any changes, I would recommend to make the changes during off hours. In a small environment, you can get away with one switch as a server and the other as clients. Though Cisco recommends transparent mode to avoid some obvious problems.

regards,

Giuseppe Larosa Thu, 02/19/2009 - 06:32

Hello Ramon,

use

sh vtp status

on all three switches to check the current status of VTP

they need to match on the following:

vtp domain name

vtp revision number

ip address and date/time of last update

also the MD5 string has to be the same.

if you like you can post here to get help.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Correct Answer
Tshi M Thu, 02/19/2009 - 07:54

you need to setup a vtp domain. Please refer to the second link i sent you earlier.

I will advise to make any changes after working hours just to be in the safe side.

you can either use:

switch(config)#vtp domain (your_domain_name)

or use the old

switch#vlan database

switch(vlan)# vtp domain (your_domain_name)

regards,

Mohamad Qayoom Thu, 02/19/2009 - 07:52

The VLANs are propogated in your 5 stack switch without a VTP domain because the stack is considered as one big switch. For example, if you have a 4506, you don't have VTP information for every blade. And yes, if you are configuring a new switch that is not part of the existing stack, you need a VTP domain.

Correct Answer
Mohamad Qayoom Thu, 02/19/2009 - 08:07

You are welcome. Please remember to rate any suggestions that were helpful.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 02/18/2009 - 14:13

VLAN Database will propagate throughout the network if you set the VTP Domain and the VTP Password to all the switches. It's good that you have set one switch as the server and the rest are client.

Actions

This Discussion