cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan configuration

ramonat
Level 1
Level 1

i've added a new switch to our network, have it config with uplink connection. will the vlan config from the core propogate down or is that a manual process to set that up?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

you need to setup a vtp domain. Please refer to the second link i sent you earlier.

I will advise to make any changes after working hours just to be in the safe side.

you can either use:

switch(config)#vtp domain (your_domain_name)

or use the old

switch#vlan database

switch(vlan)# vtp domain (your_domain_name)

regards,

View solution in original post

You are welcome. Please remember to rate any suggestions that were helpful.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

It should propogate down as long as they are in the same VTP domain, the mode is correct, and your uplink is configured as a trunk port.

ramonat
Level 1
Level 1

not sure if i have my uplink config correct but this is what i have: there is no vtp domain on the core,

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

is that it?

The port configurations look ok.

The core should be a VTP server and the other one should be a VTP client. And they both should be in same VTP domain.

if i go in and set a vtp domain on the core will that cause any problems? i have another stand alone switch that was setup prior to me taking this on and it has all the vlans settings but this was all without a vtp domain setting. is this the only way this can happen?

please check the VTP status of both switches. If you want to make any changes, I would recommend to make the changes during off hours. In a small environment, you can get away with one switch as a server and the other as clients. Though Cisco recommends transparent mode to avoid some obvious problems.

regards,

definitely helpful with understanding the settings of vtp.thanks!

Hello Ramon,

use

sh vtp status

on all three switches to check the current status of VTP

they need to match on the following:

vtp domain name

vtp revision number

ip address and date/time of last update

also the MD5 string has to be the same.

if you like you can post here to get help.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

i have a 5 stack switch setup running in vtp server mode. is it because its running in stack config that the vlans are able to propogate without a vtp domain and now that i am trying to setup a new switch outside of the stack now i need a vtp domain in order to propogate the vlans down.

what do you get with the command

sh vtp status

vtp version 2

vtp operating mode server

vtp domain

vtp pruning disabled

vtp v2 mode disabled

vtp trap gen disabled

md5 digest #0x84 0x52 0xB2 0xF0 0x4A 0xA6 0xCD 0x17

you need to setup a vtp domain. Please refer to the second link i sent you earlier.

I will advise to make any changes after working hours just to be in the safe side.

you can either use:

switch(config)#vtp domain (your_domain_name)

or use the old

switch#vlan database

switch(vlan)# vtp domain (your_domain_name)

regards,

yes i see from the article and other input that the vtp domain is what's missing and i guess this never came up since the other switches are part of the stack so vtp domain was not needed. thanks for the help.

The VLANs are propogated in your 5 stack switch without a VTP domain because the stack is considered as one big switch. For example, if you have a 4506, you don't have VTP information for every blade. And yes, if you are configuring a new switch that is not part of the existing stack, you need a VTP domain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: