Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP, IARP and, RARP

dyep110581
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to ask the difference of ARP, RARP and, IARP as well with thier uses. Also why does IARP needs to be disabled upon setting static mapping on configuring frame relay, how does it affect. Thanks

Regards,

Dyep

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

ARP is used by a layer 3 device to learn the layer 2 (MAC) address of a host for whom it only knows the IP address. For instance a router is connected to an Ethernet segment whose subnet address is 10.5.5.0/24; the router receives a packet destined for host 10.5.5.18 but it does not know the MAC address of that host. It broadcasts an ARP packet into the subnet and host .18 receives the packet and replies with its MAC address. The router then places that MAC address in its ARP cache next to the 10.5.5.18 IP address.

RARP (Reverse ARP) is used in the opposite way; it's how devices learn the layer 3 address of an end device for which it only knows the MAC address.

IARP (Inverse ARP) is used in frame-relay. Conceptually it's identical to RARP; i.e., it's for learning layer 3 addresses when only layer 2 addresses are known. In frame-relay's case the L2 addresses are DLCI's. A router knows it's got a FR circuit plugged into it; and it knows the DLCI for the circuit (either via static configuration or LMI-learned), but it does not know the IP address of the device at the other end of the circuit. And of course it needs to know this address so that when it gets traffic destined for it; it knows which DLCI to send the traffic onto. InvARP therefore sends a query onto the DLCI, the device at the other end responds with its own IP address.

I hope this also explains why IARP should be disabled if you're doing static mapping. If you're mapping destination IP addresses to your DLCI's on your own, you don't need InvARP (and it will also create needless traffic on the circuit).

Hope this helps; please rate this post if it does.

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dyep

ARP = i have an IP address but i don't have the mac-address. So a packet is broadcast out on the local ethernet segment asking for the device with a specific IP address to respond with it's mac-address.

RARP = i have a mac-address but i don't have an IP address. Usually used for end clients to dynamically receive an IP address based on their mac-address.

Inverse Arp = this is my IP address and it is mapped to this DLCI (Data Link Connection Identifier). Inverse Arp unlike ARP/RARP does not wait for a request to provide the mapping. If LMI (Local Management Interface) is enabled then a device automatically advertise it's IP to DLCI mapping.

If LMI is disabled then Inverse Arp doesn't work. Also the advertisements are not forwarded across PVC's, SVC's so depending on the configuration of the link type you may need to use static mappings.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

ARP is used by a layer 3 device to learn the layer 2 (MAC) address of a host for whom it only knows the IP address. For instance a router is connected to an Ethernet segment whose subnet address is 10.5.5.0/24; the router receives a packet destined for host 10.5.5.18 but it does not know the MAC address of that host. It broadcasts an ARP packet into the subnet and host .18 receives the packet and replies with its MAC address. The router then places that MAC address in its ARP cache next to the 10.5.5.18 IP address.

RARP (Reverse ARP) is used in the opposite way; it's how devices learn the layer 3 address of an end device for which it only knows the MAC address.

IARP (Inverse ARP) is used in frame-relay. Conceptually it's identical to RARP; i.e., it's for learning layer 3 addresses when only layer 2 addresses are known. In frame-relay's case the L2 addresses are DLCI's. A router knows it's got a FR circuit plugged into it; and it knows the DLCI for the circuit (either via static configuration or LMI-learned), but it does not know the IP address of the device at the other end of the circuit. And of course it needs to know this address so that when it gets traffic destined for it; it knows which DLCI to send the traffic onto. InvARP therefore sends a query onto the DLCI, the device at the other end responds with its own IP address.

I hope this also explains why IARP should be disabled if you're doing static mapping. If you're mapping destination IP addresses to your DLCI's on your own, you don't need InvARP (and it will also create needless traffic on the circuit).

Hope this helps; please rate this post if it does.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dyep

ARP = i have an IP address but i don't have the mac-address. So a packet is broadcast out on the local ethernet segment asking for the device with a specific IP address to respond with it's mac-address.

RARP = i have a mac-address but i don't have an IP address. Usually used for end clients to dynamically receive an IP address based on their mac-address.

Inverse Arp = this is my IP address and it is mapped to this DLCI (Data Link Connection Identifier). Inverse Arp unlike ARP/RARP does not wait for a request to provide the mapping. If LMI (Local Management Interface) is enabled then a device automatically advertise it's IP to DLCI mapping.

If LMI is disabled then Inverse Arp doesn't work. Also the advertisements are not forwarded across PVC's, SVC's so depending on the configuration of the link type you may need to use static mappings.

Jon

dyep110581
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Guys, it really helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card