cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Product Authentication Solution

LowKey111
Level 1
Level 1

I am from the business side of an organization, so please bear with me on this question. Are there any commercially available solutions for authenticating Cisco equipment when it arrives from a reseller? We would ideally like to verify a) all internal chips are authentic, b) all chip-level software is authentic and c) no unauthorized components have been inserted into the products between assembly line and delivery to our front door. Thank you.

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Products you buy new from a reputable reseller *should* be sealed in a Cisco box with "Cisco Systems" tape intact. An authentic box with genuine gear it in will have a hologram sticker on it.

Certain Cisco parts will also have hologram stickers on key chips. An easy example is a VWIC2-2MFT-T1E1. There is a hologram sticker on the main chip of this card.

I am not aware of software that performs hardware and software tampering detection. Your best bet would be to buy from a reputable reseller.

Thank you. Given our particular security needs, we cannot assume the standard designations of authenticity to be sufficient, even when procuring equipment from Tier 1 resellers (which we do). You affirmed my research: out-of-the-box solutions do not seem to be available.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: