cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Product Authentication Solution

LowKey111
Level 1
Level 1

I am from the business side of an organization, so please bear with me on this question. Are there any commercially available solutions for authenticating Cisco equipment when it arrives from a reseller? We would ideally like to verify a) all internal chips are authentic, b) all chip-level software is authentic and c) no unauthorized components have been inserted into the products between assembly line and delivery to our front door. Thank you.

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Products you buy new from a reputable reseller *should* be sealed in a Cisco box with "Cisco Systems" tape intact. An authentic box with genuine gear it in will have a hologram sticker on it.

Certain Cisco parts will also have hologram stickers on key chips. An easy example is a VWIC2-2MFT-T1E1. There is a hologram sticker on the main chip of this card.

I am not aware of software that performs hardware and software tampering detection. Your best bet would be to buy from a reputable reseller.

Thank you. Given our particular security needs, we cannot assume the standard designations of authenticity to be sufficient, even when procuring equipment from Tier 1 resellers (which we do). You affirmed my research: out-of-the-box solutions do not seem to be available.