Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover in 6500 series switches

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Recently one of the Gig-ethernet module crashed (of my 6500 switch) but the traffic does not switchover to the secondary switch. The switch Gig-ethernet module has ports in different vlans. I'm using normal HSRP config for every vlan SVI. How can i get the module traffic switch to secondary switch in case of such failure? Let me know if I'm not able to make my problem understandable to you.

--Gaurav

3 Replies 3

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Gaurav,

I am guessing that communication between the 6500, and the secondary HSRP SVI was not completely severed by the card failure. Was there another line card that had some sort of communication between the other switch/router using another path? If this is not the case can you please elaborate more on your configs and topology.

HTH,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reply!

The switches are connected with the ports which are in module-4. The module which power-failed was module-3. There in no direct cabling between the switches through module-3 of both teh switches.

Thanks and regards,

--Gaurav

Gaurav,

HSRP would have no effect if module 3 failed. Since the connection to the peer device on module 4 it is not affected by the failure on module 3. This is OK, and the 6500 did was supposed to do.

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card