Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960 tftp problem

jphilippe.halle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have several Cisco 2960 switches and we have a problem after upgrading IOS.

We had : c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-46.SE

No problem at all transfering IOS files with tftp

Now : c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-46.SE

With this IOS, every transfer crash. Only a few bytes are transfering then everything stop. On the TFTP server we see the connection disrapering (so the switch stop downloading).

If I restart the switch in the original IOS, everything works.

Other question, can you tell me what's the purpose of the file named "multiple-fs" in the flash.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

is the same tftp server used in the lab as in the prod environment?

I would try to use a different tftp server (i.e. like your workstation) just to rule out the server.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Jean,

Both of the posted IOS are the same. Also by every transfer crash, do you mean the switch actually crashes or the transfer times out?

rgds,

Sorry my mistake

Original IOS :c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5

Now : c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-46.SE

The transfer just stop and nothing happens (I waited several minutes without seeing a time out).

have you checked to see if you have enough space to uplaod a new flash?

dir flash:

I ran into a similar problem last week with one of my 3560.

I also had to increase the line vty exec-timeout but that might not be your case.

hi again,

I checked and I have enough space (more than the double).

To add details, we upgaded the IOS because we needed crypto features.

I don't understand. I took a another 2960 spare switch and put the same IOS' and I don't have the problem...

Interesting fact. I'd open a TAC case if I were you. The problem seems to be isolated to that specific switch.

rgds,

Hello,

I think I have found the problem. The server running the tftp server is a windows with NIC Teaming and I think it's the problem. I removed the teaming and now the download from the switch works almost (now instead of crashing right at the begining it's crashing at ramdom % and I see CRC errors on the NIC of the server).

I'll continue investigating

I will check the settings on the switchport where the server is connected. You might have a duplex mismatch.

regards,

Seems to be ok for speed/duplex...

If I tranfer the IOS via tftp (UDP) it's always crashing during the download. But for some reason it works perfectly over HTTP (TCP).

Am I correct to assume that we have bad packets on the network and it works over HTTP because TCP retransfer failed packets ?

I am just confused cause it works on the spare switch.

the spare switch wasn't on the same network. It was in our lab

and it didn't work on all the switches in the same network

Can you upload from the switches to the tftp server without problem?

I would also span the server port just to see what is happening when you do your transfer.

yes, all tranfer from switches to the tftp server works.

Only problem is from tftp to switches.

And only with the new IOS...

is the same tftp server used in the lab as in the prod environment?

I would try to use a different tftp server (i.e. like your workstation) just to rule out the server.

no it wasn't the same tftp server.

I pretty sure the problem is the computer we are using as tftp server.

I will test that later

Thanks for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: