cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 Common Service and Predeployed devices

dmitry
Level 1
Level 1

Recently have come across an issue where several routers were predeployed in CS (add as the new devices but the routers themselves were not online at that time). Then these routers actually got deployed on sites, however the CS still keeps them as "Unknown Device Type". If I select one of such routers in there and click on View, there will be proper info on the router's type shown, the router itself will also be managed in RME at that time. Just wondering if it is another cosmetic bug

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pre-deployed is an RME state for an unreachable device. DCR does not contact devices itself. That's left to other applications like RME, Discovery, Campus, etc. If a pre-deployed device is now reachable, simply resubmit it in RME under RME > Devices > Device Management > Pre-deployed Devices. They should then show up with the appropriate type.

Thanks for the reply. The interesting thing is that RME properly transitions the state of the pre-deployed devices to Normal once a device is online. But the the CS device selector still keeps that device in the Unknown Type group (question mark icon)

What type of devices are these? What are their sysObjectIDs? What version of the Common Services MDF do you have loaded?

The routers, c1841 (SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.620); c871 (SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.571)

LMS 3.1 bundle on SunOS YYY 5.10 Generic_137111-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

CS ver 3.2.0 with MDF Base Package 2.1.0

If is select one of such devices in the CS Device Selector and View, it will be properly shown (the router, the router type and not as UNKNOWN)

Thanks

This is not an MDF version. Just to be absolutely certain about the version, check the NMSROOT/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cwcs/mdf/mdfdata.xml file. You'll see a line like:

This device should be supported.

Please post screenshots of how this device shows in RME and in CS.

Also, I have other c1841s and c871 managed by LMS and reported properly by the CS. I'm sure if I restart the LMS, the CS will place these router into the proper group (out of Unknown Devices).

If I were to add the devices into CS when the devices are actually already online, I would not get this problem

Thanks

You could have found a bug when it comes to pre-deployed devices syncing up with DCR. It will take me a while to test. Alternatively, you could open a TAC service request, and have them take a look.

Thanks for the directions. This problem is more like an annoyance rather than a serious issue, will just restart the LMS for now

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: