cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Time Protocol

vjlsmalls1
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a lab to test NTP ACLs. I have two 3560 switches and I want to test allows and denials to peer and service NTP. Should I use the 3560? And is it possible to setup a windows XP workstation to be a master time server?

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Vincent,

the two C3650 are fine to test NTP.

to test NTP acl you can use

ntp source

command to change the ip address the one device use when sending out NTP messages

it should be possible to have an NTP service on Win XP

for example see

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1117/

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Vincent

The link that Giuseppe posts discusses what to do to enable a protocol that it identifies as NTP. And I believe that if you do what it shows that other Windows PCs would learn time from it. But the time service that Windows implements is a simplified protocol and not a full implementation of NTP. I do not believe that your Cisco devices will learn NTP time from your XP PC unless you run some special software on it that does implement the full protocol of NTP. I have heard of offerings from Meinberg, from Tardis, and from Spectracomcorp that would do this.

And of course you can set up your XP PC according to the link above and see if it does work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

In days of yore, recall(?) Windows had its own time service which wasn't NTP. Also recall, they had an optional service which would run NTP. That was a while back, i.e. pre-XP. Rick could also be correct, current implmentation with registry change might not support all NTP features. Might be something like SNTP or reduced feature set of NTP. If not, besides 3rd party, you might also want to check if Microsoft offers any additional software for NTP support. (Such software often found within one of their resource kits or on their web site.)

Thanks rburts. You may be correct. I initially set up my workstation according to the pctools article and it did not work. I am going to try again today with a more simplified configuration. Also, the command "NTP master" is not available on the code 12.2.35 that I am running. Any ideas? I am going to upgrade to 12.2.46 to see if that helps. Thanks.

Vincent

If a Cisco router or switch learns NTP time from an authoritative source then it does not need the ntp master command. The ntp master command is only needed if you want your router to act as an authoritative NTP server when it is not learning NTP time from an authoritative source. If I understood your original post correctly you plan for the Cisco to learn time from your PC. Assuming that you find a way for the PC to run the full function/full feature NTP then you will not need ntp master on your Cisco switches.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick. I am exploring both options since I have not been able to get the workstation to act as a time source. Is there a certain code I need for the 3560? I have two 3560 48 port TS and one 3750.

NTP is standard from the Cisco 2960/2975/3560/3750 and up.

Thanks. However, I updated the 3560s to the latest advanced IP services code and I still do not see the NTP master command. Any ideas?

Hello Vincent,

ntp master should be available on routers with a built-in calendar

see for example from a 2620 XM

ntp master ?

<1-15> Stratum number

I tried to give it with stratum 13 (to avoid to be preferred it is in production)

and it was accepted

On the other end on a C3560 with universal the command is not available:

ntp ?

access-group Control NTP access

authenticate Authenticate time sources

authentication-key Authentication key for trusted time sources

broadcastdelay Estimated round-trip delay

clock-period Length of hardware clock tick

logging Enable NTP message logging

max-associations Set maximum number of associations

peer Configure NTP peer

server Configure NTP server

source Configure interface for source address

trusted-key Key numbers for trusted time sources

So if you should find a router to act as source.

Or you can try to use NTP source over the internet that are available

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco