cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Attachments with no Extensions

jwiegert1
Level 1
Level 1

We have a requirement that any emails to a specific domain with certain attachments will be required to be blocked. The problem is, most of these attachments have no file extension. Anyone have a creative way to include this into an attachment rule? I also need to add pdf, doc, xls, etc.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

kyerramr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi madhour,

Could you provide with some examples as to what these attachments are and their file types. Your second part of the question should be achieved through content or message filters.

-Kishore

jwiegert1
Level 1
Level 1

They are pretty much text files that were created from our iSeries. They just don't have a file extension such as file2009.txt. They are just file2009. I have a rule to catch everything else, but just don't know how to catch non-extension files.

Would it be possible to create a filter looking at the mimetype instead of filename. at least this way the filter will always recognize an attachment with or without the extension on the end. :D

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

They are pretty much text files that were created from our iSeries.  They just don't have a file extension such as file2009.txt.

Hmmm, you may be able to use a regular expression:

if (attachment-filename == "^[^.]+$")

That will match any filename that does not contain a dot.

if (attachment-filename == "^[^.]+\.$")

That will match any filename that ends with a dot.

jwiegert1
Level 1
Level 1

I took advise from a previous post and used attachment-mimetype == "application/*"

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

I took advise from a previous post and used attachment-mimetype == "application/*"

Yes, I saw that after I posted, since your note to that effect ended up in a separate topic.