Views
Helpful
Replies

Providing DRC solution for ATMs in the enterprise network

ccie16351
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am looking for ideas on how to provide a Disaster Recovery solution for thousands of ATMs (Automated Teller Machine) deployed in the bank enterprise network. The solution should consider

the following facts:-

1.- Having the ATMs switch the connection to the Server at DRC shouldn't be automatic. This situation might last for the next few years until DRC becomes mirror image of primary data center.

2.- The ATM servers at the primary and disaster recovery center is single server equipped with high availability (Tandem). I mean to say, there is no SLBs invloved in the connection

3.- The application running on the ATMs is calling the ATM Server by hardcoded IP address in the application. The bank is willing to visit the ATMs to change once and forever.

I see source natting as the most appropriate solution, however your opanion and expertise are appreciated.

Thanks

Sami

1 Reply 1

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sami,

what kind of solution are you looking for ?

Is the concern the connection from ATM to central location ?

Or is it a concern about the server at the central location ?

For connection issues, I don't see any other solution than providing multiple lines.

If the concern is the single server, you could have a loadbalancer somewhere in your network.

The loadbalancer can use probes to check the health of the server.

If the primary fails, or is unreachable, you can automatically redirect the traffic to the standby.

ATM machines will point to the virtual ip (you could reuse the current ip and assign a new one to the servers).

Not sure where to place the loadbalancer without a better idea of the problem to solve and the network.

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: