cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syn and scaning attack on ASA

sushil
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible that Syn and Scanning attack can bring down my network?Especially can my internet goes unusable?

I checked the logs and after syslog error msg 733100 and 419002.

Now internet comes back only after restarting my router..

This is happening quite often.

Any pointer on it.

Reg,

Sushil

1 Reply 1

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

A SYN flood attack occurs during the three-way handshake that marks the onset of a TCP connection. In the three-way handshake, a client requests a new connection by sending a TCP SYN packet to a server. After that, the server sends a SYN/ACK packet back to the client and places the connection request in a queue. Finally, the client acknowledges the SYN/ACK packet. If an attack occurs, however, the attacker sends an abundance of TCP SYN packets to the victim, obliging it both to open a lot of TCP connections and to respond to them. Then the attacker does not execute the third step of the three-way handshake that follows, rendering the victim unable to accept any new incoming connections, because its queue is full of half-open TCP connections.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card