cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-ANT5170P-R vs AIR-ANT2460P-R

pcce5w2hlh
Level 4
Level 4

When comparing between the 2 models of external antennas (AIR-ANT5170P-R and AIR-ANT2460P-R), I noticed that they comes with different number of connectors (RP-TNC). The AIR-ANT5170P-R comes with two connectors, while the AIR-ANT2460P-R comes with one connector.

Assuming I'm using the Cisco 1242 Series Dual Radio AP, how many of the AIR-ANT2460P-R antenna do I connect to the 2.4GHz ports?

I believe I will only need to connect 1 unit of the AIR-ANT5170P-R antenna to the 5GHz port, as it already comes with two connectors.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well the AIR-ANT5170P-R is a Diversity patch antenna so you will use two connectors. The AIR-ANT2460P-R is not Diversity. For indoor use you do want to run diversity if possible. You should connect both of the connectors to the AIR-ANT5170P-R. For the 2.4ghz side you should of gotten AIR-ANT2465P-R so you can run diversity.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well the AIR-ANT5170P-R is a Diversity patch antenna so you will use two connectors. The AIR-ANT2460P-R is not Diversity. For indoor use you do want to run diversity if possible. You should connect both of the connectors to the AIR-ANT5170P-R. For the 2.4ghz side you should of gotten AIR-ANT2465P-R so you can run diversity.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Fella is on target as always.

I just wanted to add that if you do use the non diversity antenna you will want to makes sure it is attached to the primary bulk head of the access point. It is labeled...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The AP is to used for outdoor deployment, I would reckon diversity shouldn't be much of an issue in this case.

Would putting a diversity patch antenna with a non-diversity patch antenna on the same AP have any complication to the RF signals? Any degradation?

No, but you be wasting money. And, you'd have three "tails" and only two places to connect them.

Diversity has a place for outdoor use too; for example, in a dynamic environment (like where people or other bags of water are walking through your RF field), diversity gives the AP a "second point of view" and an opportunity to resolve a clear path sooner (i.e., less likely to miss or drop a transmission).

We'll leave birds out of the discussion for now, I think you get the idea.

If you choose to implement diversity (IMO, you should use it, because you are more likely to need it than not need it), the antennas should be of the same type & gain, and they should cover approximately the same area.

If you mix antenna types or gains (gain is a function of the radiation pattern, so it should match as closely as possible), you will degrade the performance to some degree.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card