cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 boot issue

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have a sup 720 that boots into rommon . I can see that the supervisor config register is not right . How do I change it on the supervisor once its booted up ? I remote command into the supervisor but don't see an option to change the config register in there . Have looked around on CCO and I probably missed it . Is there a easy way to do this once the box is booted up ?

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

config-register 0x2102 at the cli once it's booted up and you are in config mode.

ericn8484_2
Level 1
Level 1

You should be able to issue the config-register 0x2102 command to restore it back to loading up the IOS. If it doesn't load up the IOS, you might have a corrupted image and may need to upload a new one.

https://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/Catalyst_6000/6500_System_Crashes_Troubleshooting

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Changing the config-register at the CLI will only change the RP portion.

Get back to rommon and change the config-register in the SP side by following this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

Step 14.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Right Edison the problem is at the switch processor level not the route processor which is correct at 2102 . I changed it when it stopped at the rommon prompt and its ok now . I was just wondering if there is a way when its booted all the way up to change the switch processor config register , couldn't find any command to do it when I remoted into the switch processor.

I'm afraid there isn't.

I encountered a similar problem at a customer site.

I tried using the remote commands and they didn't work.

Glad my suggestion solved your problem.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card