Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping from switch to PC

framedrelay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using a layer 2 switch (2950) & it had few Vlans: now its not connected to network. I connected my laptop on its default vlan. From laptop i can ping the switch but not from switch.

I am running tftp server on my laptop, so unless i can reach from switch to laptop i cant put the files there.

From switch i need to run tftp command to get the file from laptop...

Switch cannot ping laptop, thats the problem.. When u can ping from laptop to switch, laptop knows how to get to switch and come back.. why it doesnt work from switch? If it would have been an inter vlan communication, yes.. but in this case, both are on same Vlan. and default G/W set for switch is also in same Vlan..

9 Replies 9

mattkaya56
Level 1
Level 1

Check if firewall is on - if on turn if off and then try.

Mat

Yup, check your Windows firewall.

it cannot be windows firewall. The reason,

When my laptop is on network, I can tftp to the laptop from any other machines in the network,

Im facing this problem when im off the network, I connect my laptop to switch (switch is also off the network).

Thanks,

Sylvester

Well its pretty common but did you set up the IP address for default VLAN in the switch though? If you do and try to ping other computer with same VLAN ( default) if is working or not.

hth

subharose

Is L3 available?

Sorry i didnt understand! what do you mean by L3 available? The switch has an IP address, if thats waht u mean?

Else if you are asking about L3 routing? 2950 doesnt have L3 routing capability btw different betworks.. as well as routers are also not there.... (here two elements are there, my 2950 & 1 laptop)

Same Vlan, same network. I dont think there is a need for an L3 switch/router to route the traffic.

Let em repeat the problem:::

Same Vlan, i can ping the switch, from switch i cant ping the laptop:

If you can ping successfully from the PC to the switch and not the other way around, the problem is certainly as somebody else already suggested that the FW rule on the PC is blocking the ping request coming from the switch. FW rules generally allow locally originated traffic flows, which explains why the ping works when initiated on the PC.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Subharose,

yes, the ip address for default vlan is set to 10.16.24.x 255.255.255.0 & the GW is set to 10.16.24.1 (thats my laptop's IP address).

If I connect other laptops to the switch, 10.16.24.100/24 i cannot ping btw the laptops.

But, from any laptops that is connected to the switch i can ping the switch IP and i can even telnet to the switch from any of the laptops connected to it..

the only problem is, i cannot reach the laptops IPs from the switch....

Hello

If the problem is still there - can I suggest you post the configuration.

I asked if there was L3 switch to understand switch/VLAN set up better.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: