cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MIBS to Monitor Etherchannel and trunks via SNMP

tschlosser
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to monitor the status of etherchannel and trunk configurations in 6500 Catalyst switches running both CATOS and IOS. I would like to understand the specific mibs/OIDS that should be monitored for etherchannels and trunks. I am trying to get a better handle on tracking the etherchannels and trunk dynamically and then understanding when the ports are having issues (up/down and errors). I need to understand how to differentiate these type of ports from regular access ports.

Thanks,

Tim

4 Replies 4

rtuttle
Level 1
Level 1

at the cli, perform a "show snmp mib ifmib ifindex | inc Port-

This will show you all the mib variables supported as well as the interface values. From here lookup the oid and massage as needed.

I have found the SNMP to monitor if a port in a EtherChannel fails.

dot3adAggAggregateOrIndividual

http://ipmsupport.solarwinds.com/mibs/IEEE8023-LAG-MIB/item.aspx?id=dot3adAggAggregateOrIndividual

Hi Tim,

what exactly do you want to query via SNMP?

For an (PAgP) Etherchannel, the member-interfaces might be interesting:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3957914#3957914

For a trunk, you could start with the operational mode, depending on the platform you can use:

vlanTrunkPortDynamicStatus (CISCO-VTP-MIB):

vlanTrunkPortDynamicStatus.49 = notTrunking

vlanTrunkPortDynamicStatus.50 = trunking

vlanPortIslOperStatus (CISCO-STACK-MIB):

vlanPortIslOperStatus.13.43 = notTrunking

vlanPortIslOperStatus.13.44 = trunking

Hope that helps

Rolf

Keep in mind that the Pos interface (agregate) won't tell you much more then the load.

All interface errors must be found on the physical interface level.

If ever I monitor the Pos it is just to show the used bandwidth in a graph to please my customer, for the rest no aggregate or virtual interfaces are monitored, just the physical interfaces of the trunks are what I consider as interesting.

Cheers,

Michel