cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting to MPLS - BGP question

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We're converting our existing connections to an MPLS based solution. We run bgp with our provider.

We're going to be installing wics in the existing routers that will be connecting into the new run. I'm going to set these wics to support the new connection, but we'll be peering with the same provider. Is it okay if I have the following:

router bgp 500

neighbor 5.5.5.1 remote-as 525 (old connection)

neighbor 10.10.1.1 remote-as 525 (new connection)

The router will let me do it in a lab, but I'm not peering with anyone in the lab. I did a "sh ip bgp summary" and I see both neighbors in the table, which tells me that it's a valid way of doing it. I have to be able to peer the new connection with bgp before moving over to the new connection.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you can peer with the same provider as you explained. You can peer with the new connection before removing the old one.

We are currently running BGP and have two neighbors in the same AS.

Thanks,

Mohamad

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you can peer with the same provider as you explained. You can peer with the new connection before removing the old one.

We are currently running BGP and have two neighbors in the same AS.

Thanks,

Mohamad

Thanks Mohamad!

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

You are welcome anytime.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card