cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 857w - Restore to Factory Default?

natestreet
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know the procedure to restore the 857w Router to factory default? I've recently moved and have since forgotten the password to the device. The router is now useless and I'd like to simply start over.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Nate,

there is a password recovery procedure

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/trouble.html#wp1038210

you need to connect with a console cable using a terminal emulation SW like hyper terminal

to type the break at router startup use

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you Giuseppe!

I'm afraid I am an absolute amateur when it comes to Cisco devices however. I stumbled upon those instructions earlier, however, I am not familiar with how to actually connect THROUGH the console cable.

I opened up telnet in Windows and typed Console, however, nothng happened. What port are connecting through? LPT1?

Very confused. Do you know exactly which program I should use and how exactly I will connect. I do have the blue cable that came with the device, however, I am not sure how to specify that cable to communicate through!

Thanks again!

Hello Nate,

the blue cable should have one side that is a DB9 you need to connect it a serial port like COM1.

the other side that is like a LAN cable (RJ-45) is to be connected to the router port labeled console

if you have a modern laptop the DB9 serial port can be missing. In this case you should buy an RS-232 to USB adapter

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe:

Thank you, once the cable is connected how do I communicate to the router through a hyper terminal?

You would never know I'm a Network Admin! I work with Windows Server.

Nate

Hello Nate,

I've found a tutorial on internet

http://www.petri.co.il/csc_how_to_use_hyperterminal_with_cisco_routers_and_switches.htm

Don't worry

I'm just an average windows user for example.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Well, I now discovered a new application in Windows XP...they really dug Hyperterminal down in windows pretty well...

Ok, so I can now connect to the router through the COM1 port (blue cable).

After it goes through the boot sequence it prompts me for the username and password, which I do NOT know! What I want to do at this point is reset the router to factory settings. The instructions are asking me to enable the "Break" sequence, however, I do not know what I need to do in order to perform this sequence.

Do you know what they are referring?

Hello Nate,

in hyperterminal you need to use CTRL+Break to send break during the bootstrap phase

reread the links I've provided in my first post they provide the password recovery procedure and a link to break sequences

Hope to help

Giuseppe

And the search continues!

Ok, The CTRL-BREAK did the trick and I was able to run the Reset the Password Utility.

Now the question seems to stem around whether or not this ACTUALLY reset the password and configured the router to factory settings.

Upon reconfiguration I did see the username I used originally to configure the router. This was after I thought I had "reset" the configuration.

Right now, I'm just hoping to find out what the default IP/Subnet of the router is? It looks like it should be 10.10.10.1/16 however, I am unable to ping the router at that address! Ideas!?

Hello Nate,

the password recovery procedure has the objective to allow privileged access to the router.

the config-register 0x2142 tells the router to ignore the configuration file including the passwords.

But it doesn't erase them and doesn't erase the config file.

Then once you get the router# prompt you can override username/pwd pairs and the enable secret.

if you perform

copy startup-config running-config you load actually the configuration file (and the router executes the commands).

you then can list the configuration this can be enough for the username/pwd pairs (if service passwords encryption is not enabled the only encrypted password is the enable secret)

just override what you cannot read.

at the end remember to do the following:

restore the original config-register

conf t

config-register 0x2102

end

copy running-config startup-config

otherwise the config will be ignored also at next router reload !

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco