cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

additional fan tray 6509E when ?

yann.boulet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we want to buy a new line card in a C6509E "WS-X6708-10G-3C", do you know if and additional fan tray is necessary for this module ?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

An additional fan tray is not necessary for the installation of this card. Your existing "E" fan tray is sufficient to keep the card/chassis cool.

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

An additional fan tray is not necessary for the installation of this card. Your existing "E" fan tray is sufficient to keep the card/chassis cool.

HTH,

Mark

Thank you for your quick reply, can you just validate for me that Sup 720 module on the 9 SLOTs can only be used in SLOT 5 and SLOT 6 ? if i have only one supervisor in SLOT 5, can i use SLOT 6 for an ethernet line card ?

My last question is that we want to use VSS1440 do i need to purchase any license ? is it native with two C6509E ?

Thank you

Yes, Slot 5 and 6 are reserved for Supervisor use. Special power requirements are also allocated to those slots. With that said, you can insert a ethernet line card in those slots, though that's not an usual practice. For more information on the 6500 architecture, please refer to this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html

As for the VSS1440 path upgrade, all you need is purchasing the Supervisor.

HTH,

__

Edison.

You are correct the supervisors will need to be installed in slots 5 & 6. I believe you can use other modules in slot 6 if you don't have redundant supervisors. For the VSS you will need to have either the VS-S720-10G-3C or VS-S720-10G-3CXL supervisor. Please see the following link for more info on the VSS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/product_data_sheet0900aecd806ed759.html

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: