cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Cisco 6513

walter
Level 1
Level 1

What are the commands for assigning IP address and Gateway to a VLAN ID on a Cisco 6513 running catOS?

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Walter,

they should be:

set interface sc0 parameters: vlan-id ..

set default route

use the in-line help

Hope to help

Giuseppe

walter
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, but I have around 7 VLANs each with a unique IP address to be supported on the switch. How do I create multiple interfaces, assign VLAN and IP address?

Hi,

u cannot do it on the sup,u need to enter the msfc i.e session 15 and there u can do it.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hello Walter,

you are in hybrid mode:

supervisor and MSFC see each other as CDP neighbors on internal trunk 15/1

You need to configure SVIs on the MSFC

verify with sh module that you have an MSFC daughter card installed otherwise you need an external router/L3 switch.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Walter

1. Make sure you have MSFC module or not.

2. If you have, either issue session 15 or session 16 command in previleged EXE mode. if you installed only one MSFC then it should be session 15; else session 16

3. have user name and password for MSFC module.

4. Now your MSFC is just like a router and issue any command you like.

HTH

~~subharose

i have configured the VLANs on the MSFC and assigned respective IP addresses. I am able to ping the VLAN IPs from the edge switches in the same VLAN through a console port. Am using VLAN 60 as the Management VLAN.

The problem is I can't ping the edge switch directly connected to my laptop thro' Ethernet port and also laptops in the same VLAN can't establish a communication

Walter

Things to check

1) Is your laptop in vlan 60 or a different vlan. If it's in a different vlan then

a) your laptop needs it default-gateway set to the L3 vlan interface on the MSFC for the relevant vlan

b) the edge switches each need their default-gateway setup to point to the L3 vlan interface for vlan 60 on the MSFC.

2) Are the links between your edge switches and the 6513 configured as trunk links and is vlan 60 + the laptop vlan allowed on that trunk.

3) When you say laptops in the same vlan can't establish communication do you mean

a) with each other ? - in which case are the laptops on different edge switches and if so check 2)

b) with the edge switches - check 1)

For devices to communicate within the same vlan they need an IP address from the same IP subnet. They also need their ports allocated to the same vlan and if they are on different switches then the links between the switches must be configured as either

a) access links for that vlan

b) trunk links

For devices to communicate from different vlans then you need to have L3 vlan interfaces for both devices, each device must have it's default-gateway set to their respective L3 vlan IP address.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card