cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to measure/monitor the throughput of the backplane/module

vancampdax
Level 1
Level 1

I'm reviewing our current datacenter to decide if we need an upgrade of the backbone components or not but...

I want to measure the current throughput on the backplane of the C4506 with a supIII module and additonally the throughput of the seperate modules in this enclosure.

I've already found that the backplane capacity of the SUPIII module is 64Gb and that the throughput of each seperate moduel is 6Gb.

I'm concerned that the throughput of the modules isn't sufficient anymore since the are filled with 1Gb server uplinks ( all 24 of them )

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I'm concerned that the throughput of the modules isn't sufficient anymore since the are filled with 1Gb server uplinks ( all 24 of them )"

A 4:1 oversubscription rate for most servers is often acceptable. Assuming you're using WS-X4424-GB-RJ45 line cards, keep in mind "Bandwidth is allocated across six 4-port groups, providing 1 Gbps per port group". This being the case, you can control actual oversubscription based on actual host port usage to the port groups.

I'm actually using the X4424 inline card and the oversubscription rings a bell, but isd there no way on how to measure the performance of the inline card and actually get statistics to "convince" management that it's necessary to replace the equipment.

You know that managers are really fond of facts and figures and without actual information I won't be able to support my business case.

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Not sure if this is what you are asking but try the command:

sh contr utiliz

rgds,

The IOS doesn't support this command, I'm running 12.2(20)EW3

I'm trying to find out if my inline cards are overutilized ( 24Gb server uplinks on a 6Gb inline card )

did you manage to get what you wanted. i am looking for same

Thanks

No, I've never received a conclusive answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card