cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Indoor vs. Outdoor Antennas

joneswil1
Level 1
Level 1

What is the difference between an indoor and outdoor antenna. I can see from the specs that outdoor antennas can operate in lower temperatures, but is that the only difference. Are outdoor antennas better sealed against weather? What I'm wondering is, can I put my Cisco AIR ANT1728 indoor omnidirectional antenna outside or not?

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You probably can, but to note, outdoor antennas are made for the varying weather outside. For example, most outdoor antennas are made to point vertical with the top of the antenna facing upward. There usuailly a drain hole so that moisture can be release and doesn't fill up inside tha antenna. Outdoor antennas that mounted upside down usually need a small hole drilled on the top of the antenna to allow for moisture to escape.

So... you might be able to use it, but take into consideration the temperature and the moisture. If the antenna fails in a year or two, then you know to replace it with an outdoor antenna. Also, coax seal is good to cover up the connector so moisture doesn't ruin the cable and connectors. Also, make sure you have a drip loop on the cable so that moisture doesn't run into the connector or antenna housing.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

Check the following post.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12592156/indoor-vs-outdoor-antennas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: