cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating an LDAP sync'ed non-VM user in Unity Connection 7

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

I would like to create a non-VM user for administration tasks and be able to sync the password with LDAP/AD. However, when I try, the only templates I'm given in the import tool are voicemail user templates.

When I create a local user without VM and try to sync to LDAP using the following columns in my CSV file:

Alias,LdapCcmUserId

I get an error:

Unknown column: ldapccmuserid

I'm hoping it's a bug that will soon be resolved. I don't see why I should have to use up a VM license in order to have web passwords sync'ed to LDAP/AD.

Comments?

4 Replies 4

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

In the UC SA, go to User template. Select New User Template. Select User Template Without Mailbox. Modify any other settings you want and save. Import your user using the LDAP integration and select this new template for the import. Use the Import Users under Tools and then select your LDAP integration, not CCM.

Ginger

Hi Ginger. Sorry I wasn't clear. I've already done that, when I go to the import tool, I only see templates associated with voicemail users, not the ones I created without voicemail access.

Very weird.

Hi -

Now I'm with you. I checked around and reviewed the UC version 7.X User guide, finding this section that says "For importing Cisco Unified Communications Manager users, only templates for users with voice mail appear in the list." It appears the import users with LDAP follows the same format. You can create a user without a voice mailbox, but not one synch'd with LDAP - it wants to include the user's phone extension for voicemail. It does make sense though, there will be a limited number of users administering the system from those in your voicemail community. Many sites for security reasons elect to have their admins use a different account for administration than their voicemail account. As typically happens, I learned something new too!

Ginger

Not sure if it really "makes sense"...the only time it uses the extension is to build the voicemail box. That's it, it doesn't update it (or a lot of other fields that I'd like to have updated, but I digress).

We have a number of people who will be maintaining the system, and I'd rather they use the LDAP/AD password, so disabling accounts is much easier.

I guess I'll have to start assigning voicemail boxes for those users and come up with a template that prevents messages being left in their boxes (low quota for example). At least this way, they can also use their VM accounts for greetings administration if required.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: